• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Survival in British Hotels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survival in British Hotels

Quality does not seem to be directly linked to price and in fact a couple of the best hotels I have stayed in have been private ones with en-suite, very clean, newly decorated, free WiFi and English breakfast for around £20. On the other hand I have ended up in hotels run by chains and I paid £80 to £150 for shabby rooms, damp walls, faulty showers and curtains falling off the rails.

My overnight survival kit contains:
    A mini fan heater (British hotels tend to be mean with the heating)
    Radiator key. (It seems that hoteliers don’t know how to bleed radiators.)
    Mini WD40. (For making the shower taps work properly)
    Digital TV USB stick and a long cable to connect to the aerial socket.
    Leatherman multi-tool.
    Mini flashlight.

Any other suggestions?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Earplugs - some of the expensive hotels I've stayed in have paper thin walls or connecting doors that aren't soundproofed.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Uk hotels are great compared to the ones in Geneva where you pay huge prices for travel lodge quality
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I find this site good http://www.travelocity.co.uk/

Select "Top Secret hotels" 5* hotel for 3* price.

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Insulation foam, for those windows that have big gaps where they shouldn't. Oh, and a fit-all-sizes plug.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I usually go tooled up with a crowbar to gemmy open the double glazed windows and some extra cartons of UHT milk and spare tea-bag

Comment

A box of tissues.

Comment

Condoms, lube etc

Comment

Alledgedly, if you get one of those USB TV tuner thingies, like Hauppauge, you can get the "premium" channels for free...

When staying in hotels outside of the UK, I always take a travel kettle and some teabags. And a bottle of mineral water, as hotel tap water may be safe to drink, but it tastes revolting.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    Oh, and a fit-all-sizes plug.
                    Is that to go with Diestl's lube?
                    In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Working...
                    X