• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in cloud cuckoo land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in cloud cuckoo land

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...r-Britain.html

The British people are living in a fool's paradise and have yet to understand the gravity of the economic crisis, according a former head of the Financial Services Authority.

What is disturbing is that the British people seem unwilling to face minimal belt-tightening. Even professors in higher education are balloting to strike, demanding a continuation of boom-time pay raises. "You have the best minds in the country planning to go on strike for 8pc. People are miles away from understanding what is needed."

Polling data shows that 48pc of the public are against any spending cuts and only 20pc see the need for retrenchment. Britons appear to assume that the "fantastic growth in public spending" over the last decade has become an entitlement.

It's me hooman right!

When are people going to wake up to the fact that the UK is effectively a bankrupt?

No,the UK is not a bankrupt (yet). It can still earn money, and it can still print money. I, on the other hand, am a bankrupt (the banks just don't know it yet). Unless I can get my hands on a printing press...
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

If there were no employment laws, a complete hire and fire free market on par with what contractors have to deal with... then the public would understand.

8% rise?? Try a 55% pay cut... Mustn't grumble.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

not to worry we'll soon have a Tory government to drop kick us all in the face again.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          not to worry we'll soon have a Tory government to drop kick us all in the face again.
          Here we go.

Yes they will. Once again, the economy is seriously FUBAR and radical and unpleasant medicine is required.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            No,the UK is not a bankrupt (yet). It can still earn money, and it can still print money. I, on the other hand, am a bankrupt (the banks just don't know it yet). Unless I can get my hands on a printing press...
            It's technically insolvent: bankruptcy is the end point.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Or the alternative which is Labour drives the UK further into complete financial ruin and you and your family are living off a soup kitchen, 1930's depression stylee.

Comment

Maybe voting should be personalised so that those who vote Labour would be accepting higher taxes and debts? That would be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...r-Britain.html

It's me hooman right!

When are people going to wake up to the fact that the UK is effectively a bankrupt?
                  Not sure I agree with his premise there. Most people have already tightened their belts (Easy to prove we're spending less on luxuries) at home, and many I know have accepted pay/rate cuts and freezes, as have some unions etc.

Agree that some unions are a bit nuts in not being pragmatic about the state of things, but generally speaking I think he's talking tulipe.

Proofs in the pudding as they say, I expect people to vote in a conservative government who have promised us spending cuts, if 48% disagree and vote that way chances are they won't get in. I doubt that somehow.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    Not sure I agree with his premise there. Most people have already tightened their belts (Easy to prove we're spending less on luxuries) at home, and many I know have accepted pay/rate cuts and freezes, as have some unions etc.

Agree that some unions are a bit nuts in not being pragmatic about the state of things, but generally speaking I think he's talking tulipe.

Proofs in the pudding as they say, I expect people to vote in a conservative government who have promised us spending cuts, if 48% disagree and vote that way chances are they won't get in. I doubt that somehow.

Snaw I thought that you were off to Singapore?? How is that going
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X