• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious row kicking off here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious row kicking off here

Italians bribed the Taleban all over Afghanistan, say officials

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6877142.ece

I’m surprised not many other sites are carrying this story, what do we all make of it?
    "Wait, I still function!"

So they basically worked out a nice clean way to stop the violence and live in peace, but that is considered to be completely unacceptable by Times readers. Better to just carry on maiming and murdering each other, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      So they basically worked out a nice clean way to stop the violence and live in peace, but that is considered to be completely unacceptable by Times readers. Better to just carry on maiming and murdering each other, presumably.

I generally don't subscribe to the prevailing mindless right-wing ethos on this forum, and so usually I have time for the lefties alternative point of view, when there is intellectual justification.
      But now you're just being stupid.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

So they basically worked out a nice clean way to stop the violence and live in peace
        Only in their own sector: the money were used to attack "allies" of the Italians in other sectors. At some point Taleban would have come after the Italians as well.

Comment

Fair play to the Italians. We should be paying the Taliban in Helmand to stop planting IEDs, especially as we can't stomach a few hundred dead soldiers when we go to 'war'.

Anyway, the Americans did this in Iraq.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Fair play to the Italians. We should be paying the Taliban in Helmand to stop planting IEDs, especially as we can't stomach a few hundred dead soldiers when we go to 'war'.
            What do you think Taleban will be doing with the money, buy Rolls-Royces? They take money and reinvest into their cause - even if they took money from Britain, it would be very temporary.

Anyway, the Americans did this in Iraq.
            They paid ex-Saddam people to fight Al Quaeda there, not paid Al Quaeda to go kill some other infidels.

Comment

Well, maybe we could bribe them with iPhones and big tellies instead then. The scheme could be called "Tellies For The Talies".

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I generally don't subscribe to the prevailing mindless right-wing ethos on this forum, and so usually I have time for the lefties alternative point of view, when there is intellectual justification.
                But now you're just being stupid.
                as always
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well, maybe we could bribe them with iPhones and big tellies instead then. The scheme could be called "Tellies For The Talies".
                  Or "Vans for the 'Stan".
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
                    Italians bribed the Taleban all over Afghanistan, say officials

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6877142.ece

I’m surprised not many other sites are carrying this story, what do we all make of it?
                    The Beeb have it here.

I remember watching a BBC documentary a few years ago which showed US forces paying Afghan warlords millions of dollars to leave their troops alone.

The documentary actually showed the money being 'checked out' by a member of the military and placed in extremely large gym type bags and loaded onto helicopters and then flown to the warlords' compounds for distribution.

Must have been part of the 'hearts, minds & wallets' strategy to win the 'war'.

Comment

Working...
                    X