• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking, quite quite shocking.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking, quite quite shocking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8310030.stm

As if plod ever miss an opportunity to close a motorway.

That's why I'm sat at home earning £0 today.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

However, the power cable presents a hazard to any motorists and in the interests of public safety the decision was taken to close the road.
      I thought they shut themselves off if they were suddenly grounded - or at least were shut off by the distribution centre pretty sharpish if there was a problem.

You're the electrical boffin Zeit. Could HT transmission lines remain live and on the floor?

Perhaps they mean it's a physical hazard rather than electrical.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I wonder what that cost the economy? Must be many millions?

All cos some dozy builder flipped his pick-up whilst on the phone no doubt, well I hope he's proud of himself.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Power on or not, those cables would do a fair bit of damage if you hit one at 70mph
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Depends.

I'm not a power line expert, but looking at that, the wire isn't grounded, it's about 4 feet off.

Thus the power probably remains on.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!
            Used to work with a guy who was an ex-leccy board line man. According to him the standard approach was always to assume the line was live until you had proved otherwise. This usually involved the use of a voltage detector on the end of a very long perspex pole. he was still alive and had never been "bitten" so I assumed he knew what he was talking about.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Depends.

I'm not a power line expert, but looking at that, the wire isn't grounded, it's about 4 feet off.

Thus the power probably remains on.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!
              Notwithstanding the physical effects of hitting the cable at 90mph, the line being live is irrelevant, as a car is a faraday cage.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Notwithstanding the physical effects of hitting the cable at 90mph, the line being live is irrelevant, as a car is a faraday cage.
                People getting out of their cars to help those in accidents is a big risk.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X