• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Openness and Honesty in a Relationship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Openness and Honesty in a Relationship

I have a hidden past, one that I'm not proud of, actually I'm quite ashamed of it. Question is, as I'm now in a serious relationship, should I volunteer that fact? It could mean the end of the relationship.

And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is.

Yes. It will come out eventually.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Yes. It will come out eventually.
      WSS

We have ways of making you talk....
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        WSS

We have ways of making you talk....
        And they like it ...
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

It must be pretty hideous if you think it will end a relationship.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Probably. Unless you honestly don't believe it is relevant, you will be bugged by it for ages. And of course things tend to get found out.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
              I have a hidden past, one that I'm not proud of, actually I'm quite ashamed of it. Question is, as I'm now in a serious relationship, should I volunteer that fact? It could mean the end of the relationship.

You're a contractor. What could possibly be worse than telling her that in the current market!

EDIT: OMG - you're not a PM, are you?

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

is it just one incident or was it a whole period of your life?

for the former i'd say keep it to your self as long as there is no chance of the other half finding out. Its clearly something you regret and you've moved on from. Why allow it to potentially ruin the rest of your life.

If it was more than an isolated incident, then I'll cop out and leave that to someone elses judgement
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's simple really, you have to be honest with yourself.

If there's no chance it could come out the question is; can you live with it? If you can then I'd keep schtum.

If there's a chance it could come out or you can't live with it, then you have to say something in order to sleep at night.

What you mustn't do is go with not saying anything....then change your mind later.

Just my 2p worth.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

If you truly repent then your beloved might have a hard time coming to terms with whatever it is, but if he/she/it truly cares about you and believes you are sincere then it could ultimately strengthen your relationship. You might have to accept that they need some time to get their head around it though.

Furthermore, if it concerns you so much then it ultimately will come out: it may be better to deal with it now rather than risk things blowing up in your face. It's probably easiest to get these things sorted out sooner rather than later; the "You've been lying to me all these years, I feel like I never really knew you" argument is a difficult one to counter when it's true.

Of course I've never lived through your situation, so my advice is purely theoretical and probably valueless

Go on, you know you want to

Comment

Working...
                    X