• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax raid on banks planned by ministers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax raid on banks planned by ministers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ministers.html

Insiders say a tax that would hit independent banks such as Barclays, HSBC and Standard Chartered, would be justified because they have all benefited from a recovery that has been underwritten by governments around the world. However, any such move would be strongly resisted across the sector.

==================

As long as they dont touch IBs. We dont want them moving elsewhere........

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    As long as they dont touch IBs. We dont want them moving elsewhere........
    It suites me fine - I am based 'elsewhere'
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

So if you don't manage your business then the government will bail you out.

If you do manage your own business then they'll take all your money away to pay for those that can't.

I love this country .. but fear this government

Comment

I have a mate who is still being paid his full salary of 90k from Lloyds TSB 10 months after he failed an interview for his own job, they just sent him home on gardening leave and have yet to decided how to get rid of him.

If they can afford to burn money like that they can pay a little more tax.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Seems reasonable that they should pay back some money to the taxpayer, especially as some would rather pay bonuses instead. If anything Investment Banks were more to blame. Morgan Stanley had a 9 bilion loss FFS
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 18 October 2009, 22:15.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

One of the few remaining success stories in the UK economy and we are wrecking that as well, first with laissez-faire regulation, then by punishing them for working within that laissez-faire regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              then by punishing them for working within that laissez-faire regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                One of the few remaining success stories in the UK economy and we are wrecking that as well, first with laissez-faire regulation, then by punishing them for working within that laissez-faire regulation.
                You speak like they are children who need to be nannied! While, I thought these were some of the brightest people we had in this country? Obviously not.

I blame the government for not contolling the housing boom and not pricing money higher during that boom. I don't blame then for inventing Credit Default Swaps as using such stupid devices as insurance for selling loans to people who could obviously never pay them back. That was happening irrespective of Government, be it Republican or Labour. Like all Pyramid schemes they look foolproof while the money is rolling in. In hindsight everyone wonders how they could have been so stupid.
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 18 October 2009, 22:30.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  You speak like they are children who need to be nannied! While, I thought these were some of the brightest people we had in this country? Obviously not.
                  Would you like to be punished for avoiding tax? Or have a retrospective tax imposed on you or your company?

People in all walks of life see the rules (or lack thereof), and find ways to use them to their own greatest benefit. The brightest do it best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I've said this before and I will say it again that much of the blame lies with Gordon Brown and the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.

These brightest people that you refer to have done very well for themselves over the last decade as you would expect but maybe that wasn't the result that the country wanted?

I don't know. The banks find a way to keep the property boom going and going, because that was what people wanted, and now they are treated as though they are the villans.

I would look at the public's love affair with ever rising house prices for no effort as the root of the trouble.
                    Last edited by Gonzo; 18 October 2009, 22:32. Reason: Original post was a little inconsistent!

Comment

Working...
                    X