• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marketing phase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketing phase

I am still relatively new to contracting but now on my third contract and I love the benefits that it gives to me. One area that I struggle with is the time in between contracts that I call my "marketing phase"!

I contract as a project manager and have good experience in this area having done it for 14 years. Upon coming a freelancer I have become Prince 2 qualified so that I can add a "buzz word" to my CV to compliment my experience. Naturally I would prefer my contracts "back to back" but I am realistic to understand that may not always be possible. It was for me between contracts 1&2 (virtually) but not between contracts 2&3. In general, due to PM closing activities, I find the end of the contract a busy period and therefore not condusive to applying/following up on new contracts.

How do other people cope with their marketing phase? How do you apportion your time? I find my initial week or 2 starts with intense web searching and phoning of agents but I also need to be able to fit in other business needs such as catching up on accounts. I am looking into ways to divide my time without creating undue concern (guilt?!) that I am not working hard enough to find a new contract!

All/any views & opinions appreciated.

That's an interesting one "marketing phase"

I think "down and out" or "up the paddle without a creek" spring to mind as other alternatives.

Yes, well if its Summer and hot then I think its a great to have time off, I had a great time when I was laid off for 4 months, but you can't always plan to be laid off in summer, during a heatwave, so I suppose you need to force yourself to look before the end.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Spend about 1 day/month of effort on business development/contacts, split into:
      - 3/4 agencies that I contact about once a quarter to remind them that I'm around (there's nothing like a 5 minute chat to get your name up the list)
      - half a dozen ex-clients that I make sure I go for a beer/chat with on a regular basis whilst I'm operating on an existing assignment (try to make sure I'm doing at least 1, or preferably 2, per month).
      - set-up email feeds from the usual job-sites (very rarely get any work this way, but it's useful for checking my market rate and finding out what's hot and what's not).
      - 3 small consultancy firms that I have an established relationship with (tend to get better rates and better work, though for shorter periods of time) - go for a beer and a chat about once a month.

I do this irrespective of whether I'm on assignment or not. I like having the luxury of choice, so I keep on networking even when operating. The opportunities that I can't support/don't want to do I then pass on to people I know (and get some extra revenue as a result). As long as the commercial's are sorted out properly, it earns a better day rate than actually working...
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

so that I can add a "buzz word" to my CV to compliment my experience
        complement
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Sounds like beer is the key to everything then

Comment

I guess there are some key things to consider based on what your skill-set is e.g. high volume commodity or niche.

Commodity skills e.g. generic support roles can probably expect a short down time between contracts. Niche high-paying skills can result in a longer down time because the market is smaller.

e.g. .net, J2EE developer, support, Project Manager, versus Senior Programme Manager, Chief Architect, CTO, CIO, Director etc.

Unfortunately, sometimes rates do not reflect the down-time.

When deciding to accept new work, it is worth considering contract duration and how the role/work adds or detracts from your CV.

e.g. if you have niche skills and it is only a very short term contract at a mediocre rate, then you may be back into the 'marketing cycle' with another three month lag with little value added to the CV.

Niche skills carry higher risks, but not allways higher rates and can be a very risky game - e.g. being out of the market for too long.

Trying to maintain a broad skills base can be very demanding. Knowing a little about everything can be a difficult skill to market not to mention keeping up to date.

Being a niche guru in SAP, .NET, Java or J2EE, where there is high demand, can be a good route - if you are good.

In the Project Management space, I suppose they want Project Management skills + specific technology and/or some specific business context?

The 'Marketing Phase' can end up being alot harder than the day job, especially as it is unpaid, of uncertain duration, certainly no holiday, and for some can result in a plan b.

If your skills are bound up in understanding a specific Customers business (e.g. as a Business Analyst) with a very narrow or unique base and then they ditch you or you ditch them, this can cause problems also.

Contracting can be a bit like being a Boxer, where you are only as good as your last fight, so pick your fights well.
            Last edited by ancient; 21 November 2005, 22:48.

Comment

Most contributors around here are still in the anal phase.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
                Sounds like beer is the key to everything then

.....mmmmm sweet beer. the cause and solution to all of life's problems.
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                X