• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bangernomics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangernomics

Just thought that I would report back.

I asked the panel about cars to buy, in order to do high miles, for no more than £2K a little while ago.

I have just bought a 1990 BMW 518i.

Full service history, immaculate with great stereo and 4 new tyres (12 Months MOT and 4 months tax) for £750.

Such a comfortable Motorway cruiser and a real head turner.

Gems are out there if your willing to look.......
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Why did you get the feeble 4 cyclinder engined one?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Why did you get the feeble 4 cyclinder engined one?
      Just looking for the best value for low money. There is A LOT of room in the engine bay though

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

I had a 1993 BMW 325i for 4 years - it was only when it started costing me earlier this year I got shot of it. Definitely cheap motoring.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

My missus has a 318i convertible, and it couldn't pull the skin off a custard!!!!

I hate driving it...soooo slow!!!
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            My missus has a 318i convertible, and it couldn't pull the skin off a custard!!!!

I hate driving it...soooo slow!!!
            Imagine what a 5 series with the 1.8L engine would be like.

Aygos whizzing past laughing at you.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Imagine what a 5 series with the 1.8L engine would be like.

Aygos whizzing past laughing at you.

Hey if I want speed I will get on the bike 0-60 in 2 seconds, 198 MPH and 200 BHP, now that is speed. Nothing with 4 wheels compares.

I just wanted a good cruiser that did the Motorway miles with ease.

I admit that it is not the fastest but it does 90 all day long, so I am happy.

Comment

That little engine in that big car must use a lot of fuel...
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                  That little engine in that big car must use a lot of fuel...
                  35 MPG so far, so not bad for a Petrol engine

Comment

Yep, just figured it would be worse than that. 35 is ok for a car that size.....

Comment

Working...
                    X