• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The government is to scrap the 'appalling' ICT GCSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in an effort to stop children turning away from the subject.
    linky
    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

They should focus on algorithms and data structures, once you have those fundamentals everything else is just fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
      in an effort to stop children turning away from the subject.
      Karen Price, CEO of e-skills, said there had been a 50% fall in computing degree applicants because children found the ICT GCSE "boring".
      I suppose that it's got nothing to do with the younsters being smart enough to know that there is no long-term career prospects for them in the field.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

E-Skills predicts the industry would need 140,000 IT professionals a year by 2012.
        wouldn't

Comment

It's true about the standard of ICT teaching. Most teachers are rubbish at working a computer.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It's about time the government came clean on recognised that it is not worth teaching IT.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              It's about time the government came clean on recognised that it is not worth teaching IT.
              It's not, when the definition of IT is how to write a letter in MS Word, or how to search the internet.

IMO, this sort of thing should be taught in PSHE or IL, not as a separate subject.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                It's not, when the definition of IT is how to write a letter in MS Word, or how to search the internet.

IMO, this sort of thing should be taught in PSHE or IL, not as a separate subject.
                OK, my friend Google tells me what PSHE is, but WTF is IL?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  OK, my friend Google tells me what PSHE is, but WTF is IL?
                  Integrated Learning.

Comment

We're all doomed dinosaurs

From the article:
                    But many children were already IT literate before they started the GCSE course. A 15-year-old who had taken to developing iPhone applications in their spare time was typically discovering that the ICT GCSE was not what they had expected.
                    From TPD:
                    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Got a "Hello World" app running on my iPhone!
                    The forum's über-guru is just a little boy!
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X