• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CPR - Clear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPR - Clear

my daughter is coming to the end of her first year paramedics training, and last week she was on the 'big yeller wagons'

She got called to an emergency on saturday in a Liverpool hotel and had to run up seven flights of stairs with all the gear to try to resucitate an old guy who had dropped dead in the corridor. She said there were screaming relatives everywhere , a real difficult situation but her training took over and she started the cpr then did the 'clear' malarky.
    The rellies started screeching even more when they heard his ribs crack and eventually they got moved away.
    They couldnt bring the old fellow back.

Sort of makes me feel a bit useless really. I mean, if I had been there what could I have contributed ?

'Let me through, I am a relational database expert. Hmm lets see, NURSE, give him 50cc's of Primary key, whats this ??? these tables dont appear to be normalised'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I'm a diver 1st-aider (got a badge and everything...).

It's more impartant to give chest-compressions than it is to give artifical ventilation (they changed that name of the recently but I can't remember what it is - only that they moved from 15:2 to 30:1).

We were a bit sissyer in our training and were told not to break the sternum - Casualty types expect it to happen...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

In my schoolboy first aid training around 1993 they told us to expect to break a rib or two when doing chest compressions. That's about the only thing I can still remember.

Comment

I think everybody should know the basics.

I'm a lapsed 1st aider, but I would still attempt to give CPR until the Paramedics arrived in a situation as above.

I thought about doing it when my Grandma died, but she was cold to the touch so I didn't. Paramedics still did it though (they have to try) which was a bit grim.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

She got called to an emergency on saturday in a Liverpool hotel and had to run up seven flights of stairs with all the gear to try to resucitate an old guy who had dropped dead in the corridor. ...Sort of makes me feel a bit useless really. I mean, if I had been there what could I have contributed ?

You could have kept an eye on the first aid equipment so it does not get stolen!
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If someone goes ill I would offer to give them mouth-to-mouth. Its enough to cure most people.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If someone goes ill I would offer to give them mouth-to-mouth. Its enough to cure most people.
              Do you look like this?

(Link is not safe for those of a sensitive disposition)
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                ...It's more impartant to give chest-compressions ...
                Phnarr, phnarr.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Do you look like this?

(Link is not safe for those of a sensitive disposition)
                  No, this.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My dad does emergency call-outs for their village and the nearby villages in case someone has a heart attack. There is a defibrillator at their house, and because it would take an ambulance 20+ minutes to get there, he gets called out to do first aid and (if necessary) zap them.

Again - makes me feel kind of small when (as EO says), all I might be able to offer would be some sarcasm, badly-timed humour and advice on why they really should have just bought Oracle instead as it would have saved all this problem...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X