• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving out of the way for emergency vehicles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving out of the way for emergency vehicles

If, for example, I was sitting at a red light and an emergency vehicle came up behind at full blues and twos, do I get out of the way?

And what if there is a traffic camera situated at the lights which seem to be being installed at ever increasing rates around where I live. Do I still try and get out of the way?

Would triggering the traffis light camera invoke penalties (additional taxation - but I wont go there)?

Also, could I be done for obstructing an emergency vehicle by not getting out of the way?

Am I considered a criminal whatever my actions?

Do I get special consideration by flying via Rome to pick up my spaghetti?
    Yes, get out of the way even if a camera present
    51.52%
    Yes, get out of the way but only if no camera present
    15.15%
    No, sit there like a numpty while the sirens wail 10' behind me
    27.27%
    The law doesn't apply to me as I only travel by tornado
    6.06%
    Last edited by conned tractor; 19 October 2009, 12:44.

Last year (or so) a bloke got done for moving across ared light for an ambulance. He got no leniancy and a policeman said there was no need for dudes to move out of the way because the drivers are specially trained.

Dunno about that, it always makes me feel good when I pull over to let them pass

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Someone got done recently for doing exactly that, moved through a red (but didn't get into the crossing traffic) to make room for an ambulance and got done by the traffic camera on the lights. ISTR the appeal was disallowed.

Personally I'd let the EV go though and argue the fine afterwards if I got one: local papers love that kind of thing...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You should only try and move when it is safe and legal to do so or when directed by a member of the emergency services. Emergency service drivers are trained to deal with these situations and have special exemptions to the normal rules. If you can't move safely then stay put and let them sort themselves out.
        Last edited by DaveB; 19 October 2009, 12:49.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          ...If you can't move safely then stay put and let them sort themselves out.
          While they get out of there vehicle, and direct you where to put your car - probably in no uncertain terms - and the heart-attack victim snuffs it. Then there's the question of safety. While driving over the line might trigger a red light camera, it isn't necessarily a dangerous thing to do.

In civilized, reasonable countries (with nazi gold), you explain what you were doing, and the charges are dropped.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

£60 + 3 points.

The Driving Standards Agency said Rule 219 of the Highway Code says motorists should consider oncoming emergency vehicles but comply with traffic signs.
            Edit: Current Highway Code, Rule 219:
            Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
            In that case, bollocks to 'em in future.
            Last edited by BrowneIssue; 19 October 2009, 13:00.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Thanks BI. Here is the reast of Rule 219:

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
              Do I still not get out of the way?

Am I deliberately causing an obstruction?

Comment

A few years ago I had to flash a fire engine on the A14 because he was hogging the outside lane with his disco lights on. Nothing on the inside lane - highly trained?
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  While they get out of there vehicle, and direct you where to put your car - probably in no uncertain terms - and the heart-attack victim snuffs it. Then there's the question of safety. While driving over the line might trigger a red light camera, it isn't necessarily a dangerous thing to do.

In civilized, reasonable countries (with nazi gold), you explain what you were doing, and the charges are dropped.

Institute of Advanced Motorists.

Emergency vehicle drivers are specially trained and have exemptions to the law that you don't have, so you must not go through red lights or speed to allow them to pass. To do so is incredibly dangerous, and if caught, it will not help your defence that you broke the law to allow the emergency vehicle to pass

Don’t cross red traffic lights or speed to get out of the way. The emergency driver has training and legal exemptions that you don’t have. Bus lanes and box junctions can be problems too, but let them resolve the problem of breaking the rules – not you.
                  If you are sat at a red light with a fire engine or ambulance coming up behind you they will go around you, in the opposite lane if nessecery. Thats whay they have lights and sirens so everyone else can see them and where they are going.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Pull over and ruin my chances of slotting in behind the ambulance for a high speed dash through the traffic? - you must be joking. I'm there revving hard and ready to drop the clutch as soon as it passes me.

Comment

Working...
                    X