• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where is globalisation heading?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is globalisation heading?

Are we all going to end up on minimum wage like postmen, with just a few über rich? Or is it going to be Morlocks and Eloi, with some of society paid next to nothing and others living in relative opulence? Seems to me it wouldn't be so bad if we were all on minimum wage, it's when some are very relatively rich that things could get messy. Either way I don't see houses being affordable for the next generation of minimum wager's.

Morlocks were doing all right...

Comment

Fresh Eloi, yum yum....

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Are we all going to end up on minimum wage like postmen, with just a few über rich? Or is it going to be Morlocks and Eloi, with some of society paid next to nothing and others living in relative opulence? Seems to me it wouldn't be so bad if we were all on minimum wage, it's when some are very relatively rich that things could get messy. Either way I don't see houses being affordable for the next generation of minimum wager's.
        From each according to his ability, to each according to his need - I think someone has tried that. It didn't work out so well.

Minimum wage is on it's way out along with a whole load of social policies in Europe.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          From each according to his ability, to each according to his need - I think someone has tried that. It didn't work out so well.

Minimum wage is on it's way out along with a whole load of social policies in Europe.
          As in, some people will be paid less than a minimum that can be existed on? I can't see that happening without heads rolling and pikes being dusted off.

Comment

As in, some people will be paid less than a minimum that can be existed on? I can't see that happening without heads rolling and pikes being dusted off.
            Yes.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              Yes.
              They won't be paying a lot of tax then

Comment

They won't be paying a lot of tax then
                People who get paid less than minimum wage are likely to be paying highest ratio of their income as tax even if they don't get hit with income tax...

Comment

Seeing as just about everyone on NMW will also be getting some sort of benefit to top it up wouldn't the government do well to increase NMW and put more of the burden on business rather than the tax payer?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    People who get paid less than minimum wage are likely to be paying highest ratio of their income as tax even if they don't get hit with income tax...
                    Glad to see you haven't turned into a capitalist oligarch robber baron yet with your new found wealth looming Alexi. Let's see if it lasts

Comment

Working...
                    X