• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BNP on Question Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BNP on Question Time

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk_politics/8313680.stm

I despise these people but think Peter Hain is wrong - they are not an unlawful party.
    Am I looney leftie because I want them exposed for what they are (and in my view the best way to do that is to give them publicity)?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7176152.stm

Peter Hain is in no position to talk about criminality, or maybe he is...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7176152.stm

Peter Hain is in no position to talk about criminality, or maybe he is...
      I don't care what Peter Hain has/has not done (in this context).
      Should the Beeb allow the BNP on to Question Time?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Should the Beeb allow the BNP on to Question Time?
        Yes, why not? If BNP is breaking any laws they should be put on trial, otherwise it is a witch hunt that only benefits them.

I personally care far more about thieving ruling party than BNP who don't stand a chance - that's why Labour love them so much as it helps to detract attection - it's the Labour MPs who should be on trial, BNP done exactly nil compared to them.

Comment

Yes, why not? If BNP is breaking any laws they should be put on trial, otherwise it is a witch hunt that only benefits them.

I personally care far more about thieving ruling party than BNP who don't stand a chance - that's why Labour love them so much as it helps to detract attection - it's the Labour MPs who should be on trial, BNP done exactly nil compared to them.
          Oh cool. You are a looney leftie too
          +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Oh cool. You are a looney leftie too
            Only when I am logged in under ATW

Comment

Only when I am logged in under ATW

Oh bugger! You are DimPrawn and I claim my 50 roubles
              +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Who are the BNP? Are they a political party or sommink?

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
                  Who are the BNP? Are they a political party or sommink?
                  Yep. Very popular in certain areas I believe.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

There was an article about this in today's Media Guardian. I think Ric Bailey from the BBC made a good point.

Basically, the BBC have had a legal responsibility imposed upon them by politicians (note that this was imposed upon them by politicians who had gained power and were convinced that the BBC had been against them when they were out of power, which is every party to have held power since the BBC was created) to grant airtime to political parties that meet certain criteria relating to electoral support and the extent of their political activity. The BNP has met those criteria by having fielded candidates in sufficiently large numbers in elections, and by having achieved electoral success (if only in the European elections) to a sufficient degree, that any sane interpretation of the requirements imposed by law on the BBC must be that the BNP are as much entitled to make use of the BBC as a platform as are the less execrable parties - and even the Tories.

I quote:
                    "If [politicians] think the BNP is not a legitimate party and it is different from other parties, [they] have the power to do something about it – the broadcasters don't."

So whatever you think of it, don't use it as a rod to beat the BBC - blame the politicians who try to control the media without being seen to do so, and therefore inevitably leave loopholes open on the basis that they might need them themselves someday. Given that the Tories and Labour are the only parties to have held power since the creation of the BBC (pace coalitions in wartime) the presence of the BNP on the BBC can be blamed squarely and solely on them.

Comment

Working...
                    X