• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycling

Down my way they only collect paper, glass and tincans from the doorstep so all other stuff like plastic and cardboard has to be carted up to the recycling centre outside the local supermarket.

Well, I've been dilligently doing this for a couple of years now but after having just nearly broken my neck tripping up over the receptacle we use to hold our recycling for the umpteenth time I've decided I've had enough. The stuff they don't collect is all going in the dustbin from now on, I'm sick of the clutter and the faff of doing it. I guess that makes me some kind of eco vandal?

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    The stuff they don't collect is all going in the dustbin from now on, I'm sick of the clutter and the faff of doing it.
    Burn it rather than putting it in the bin.

Ash takes less space and weighs less, so the council should be happy from a landfill tax perspective and it is less environmentally bad than putting cardboard & plastic underground.

Just make sure the fire is good and hot before putting the plastic on.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Please don't burn plastic, it generates a lot of nasty chemicals unless it is burned in a furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Please don't burn plastic, it generates a lot of nasty chemicals unless it is burned in a furnace.
        Just burn it on a windy day - all those nasty chemicals will blow harmlessly away. Problem sorted
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I suspect alot of this "Green" craze is guff to make local authorities appear "Eco-friendly" and morally responsible.

Recently, I placed a small, flattened carboard box beside my recyc' bin, as it was full. The petty b@stards not only didn't take it, but picked it up and put in inside my newly emptied bin rather than just chuck it on the back of the van.

When I complained to the relevent council dept. they suggested I should have taken it to the local dump (a 6 mile round trip)!! One small cardboard box, that their employee actually had in his hand!!

They refused to even see my point of view. It has certainly changed the way I view recycling, and not in a positive way.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Down my way they only collect paper, glass and tincans from the doorstep so all other stuff like plastic and cardboard has to be carted up to the recycling centre outside the local supermarket.

Well, I've been dilligently doing this for a couple of years now but after having just nearly broken my neck tripping up over the receptacle we use to hold our recycling for the umpteenth time I've decided I've had enough. The stuff they don't collect is all going in the dustbin from now on, I'm sick of the clutter and the faff of doing it. I guess that makes me some kind of eco vandal?
            Of course the trip to the supermarket uses petrol. So its more environmentally friendly to throw it away.

HTH

Comment

Cans make a massive difference, 7 times less energy to recycle rather than create from new. Glass also makes a big difference but really we should go back to the deposit system so the glass does not have to be smashed and melted.

They should be allowed to build furnace power stations at a more local level to get rid if the paper but nobody will allow it.

If you put the stuff in the recycling bin then it cannot (should not) be thrown in the land fill and that generally a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                it cannot (should not) be thrown in the land fill and that generally a good thing.
                Unless the landfill is in China

Comment

I dutifully took my reusable Tesco bag to Tescos the other day, and the checkout lady said it was looking a bit tatty and would I like to swap it for a new one.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the object of the exercise?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Unless the landfill is in China
                    I think the stuff was sent there on good faith that is was going to be recycled.

Comment

Working...
                    X