• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green IT

Next big thing?

Compliance, assessments, datacentre power stuff, EU regulation...etc etc...

Any money innit?

The big Co's have been pushing this for a while, I think IBM even had a TV advert for it.
    All comes down to power and cost saving. the green stuff is just a nice bit of by-product PR
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Virtulisation? All the money that companies could save in consolidating their servers not to mention the reduction in carbon footprint. Maybe there would be grants available?

Comment

As Space Cadet said, most big companies are already doing it to save money on power and support services.

The server guys here have just decided to turn the air con temperature in out data centers up to 21 deg c as the kit will still work quite happily with that as the ambient temperature. The air circulation is still sufficient to avoid hot spots and they are saving a good chunck of cash in the process.

Virtualization of servers and consolidation of kit into blade racks rather than multiple individual boxes all make a difference and has been pushed by vendors of quite a while now.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Do you think there's a plan B in spraying vanilla desk tops green?

Comment

Something on the news the other day on how Iceland is pushing to rebuild its economy by becoming the world's green data centre. It makes some sense: an abundance of "green" geothermic energy to exploit, and the colder climate means less to waste on air con.

There's a lot could be done for green desktops. Like my Windows 7 machine that I can't stop chugging away at the hard disk. Why can't it load the OS into RAM and switch off the hard disks until they're absolutely needed?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Something on the news the other day on how Iceland is pushing to rebuild its economy by becoming the world's green data centre. It makes some sense: an abundance of "green" geothermic energy to exploit, and the colder climate means less to waste on air con.

There's a lot could be done for green desktops. Like my Windows 7 machine that I can't stop chugging away at the hard disk. Why can't it load the OS into RAM and switch off the hard disks until they're absolutely needed?
              Or store large read-only data or applications in Flash memory.

MySpace replaces disks with flash

Social networking site MySpace has replaced traditional server/direct-attach disk combos with flash memory cached servers to save space, energy, cooling and cost.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Or store large read-only data or applications in Flash memory.
                I did wonder about getting an SSD as a system drive. Shame they're still so expensive.

But it shouldn't really be necessary. I have 4GB RAM in this machine, which I rarely need all of. As good as Windows 7 is, it seems to me Microsoft have missed a trick here. Where you have pleanty of RAM, the computer is left on, and power cuts are extremely rare, it makes a lot of sense for an OS to be able to operate completely out of RAM.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  it makes a lot of sense for an OS to be able to operate completely out of RAM.
                  The way they designed Windows results in System Cache pushing out real data from memory, and if you switch off swap (like we do on our servers) in heavy memory usage scenarios some Windows failures occur because some of the kernel functions EXPECT memory to be allocated and can't fail nicely...

Comment

what happens to the usable parts from recycled computers?

Comment

Working...
                    X