• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MOT conundrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOT conundrum

Aaargh! MOT day on my 14 year old Mondeo hasn't gone well. Apparently it needs 3 anti-rollbars and a shock absorber is leaking. Garage's estimated cost: £495

I said I'll think about it and get back to them. I've had the car for 10 years and it has served me very well. Don't really want to lose it and the engine was rebuilt last year (by proper engineers, engine is fantastic now), but spending that much on it may be stupid? Mind you I'll have to pay for the MOT and oil change anyway, which push £100.

What to do, what to do?

Ditch it....

Plenty on ebay

Comment

Buy new Bentley.

Simples.

HTH

DimPrawn

Comment

Ditch it.

Pick up one for that money with 12 months MOT.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Aaargh! MOT day on my 14 year old Mondeo hasn't gone well. Apparently it needs 3 anti-rollbars and a shock absorber is leaking. Garage's estimated cost: £495

I said I'll think about it and get back to them. I've had the car for 10 years and it has served me very well. Don't really want to lose it and the engine was rebuilt last year (by proper engineers, engine is fantastic now), but spending that much on it may be stupid? Mind you I'll have to pay for the MOT and oil change anyway, which may be pushing £100.

What to do, what to do?
          What will it cost you if you don't get it done?

New car, who's condition you cannot be 100% sure about unless it's brand new or close to it. Cost of mucking about with no transport while you look for a new one. Disposing of the old one. etc etc.

As it's less than £500 all in I'd get it done and start looking for a replacement afterwards when you can take your time about it and/or trade it in.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

That old car can give you £2000 discount on buying new one...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              If you want to spend another £4000 on a Korean box....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                But only if it has an MOT.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  But only if it has an MOT.
                  Eh? That old car is meant for scrapping, surely they don't require it to have MOT? Oh wait, it's the Labour Govt we are talking about here...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

I said I'll think about it and get back to them. I've had the car for 10 years and it has served me very well. Don't really want to lose it and the engine was rebuilt last year (by proper engineers, engine is fantastic now), but spending that much on it may be stupid? Mind you I'll have to pay for the MOT and oil change anyway, which push £100.

What to do, what to do?
                    Call yourself a contractor?

I am a permie and spent £12K on my wheels

Comment

Working...
                    X