• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period

I work as a limited company. I was recently given notice on a Friday by my agency of 1 week after working through them for over 1 year. The following Monday was a Bank Holiday. Am I entitled to invoice for 5 days or only 4? I am under the impression that the legal minimum is 1 working week under these circumstances, although the agency tells me I can only claim for 4 days.

Welcome, newbie.

Originally posted by sluice View Post
    I work as a limited company. I was given notice by my agency of 1 week. The following Monday was a Bank Holiday. Am I entitled to invoice for 5 days or only 4?
    A week's notice is seven calendar days, not five working days, unless the contract says otherwise.

You get to work for 4 days and get paid for 4 days.

However, you do get to spend the Bank Holiday Monday updating your CV and uploading it to the job sites and doing whatever research you need to do to hit the job boards running.

You have had a year's money out of this contract, don't fret about that one day.

ALTERNATIVELY: the implication is you do not need to attend and you are off-site. You still get 4 days' dosh - but for doing NOTHING! That's a huge win.

Finally, be glad you had a notice period. Most of my contracts have specified a zero notice period.

More thoughts: what does the contract say the notice period is?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Maybe you have been working around permies to long with these ideas of billing for days you don't work and having legal rights as standard.

You are a company owner contracting your services not a permie. Once you work that out questions like this become fairly obvious.

Get used to 1 days notices and not being able to bill for the last week as you were walked off etc and you might get over the cushy number you have had and not get a shock at your next gig.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Notice Period

Thanks for your advice, guys, however unwelcome it is. I'll go quietly!

Comment

I work as a limited company. I was recently given notice on a Friday by my agency of 1 week after working through them for over 1 year. The following Monday was a Bank Holiday. Am I entitled to invoice for 5 days or only 4? I am under the impression that the legal minimum is 1 working week under these circumstances, although the agency tells me I can only claim for 4 days.
          The "legal minimum" is whatever the contract says. However, usually the contract states that you only get paid for the days that you work - otherwise you fall dangerously close to failing IR35 tests on the grounds of mutuality of obligation.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No, no, no, no, no.

It is traditional for newbies to argue with the advice they are given if they don't like it.

Noone ever says thank you either.

This is a clear case of sockpuppet fail.

Comment

There's no need to go away.

The most important bit is: what does your contract say about any notice period?
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Notice Period

Sorry, I forgot I was a newbie. No, no, I'll fight it till the day I die and promise to take it to the European Court of justice tomorrow. The contract states 1 week unless I grossly misconduct myself. I don't think I did that, unless that little problemette with Lynette and her mum in the tea room was noticed. My lips are sealed, BTW.

Comment

I'm with Northernlad on this one.

Running your own Ltd Co you are contracting your services, not employed by the people you provide them to.

This wouldn't go down well AT ALL from an IR35 point of view! (not knowing whether you are inside or out)

Comment

Of course, if the contract was worded such that there is an "early termination fee" equivalent to 28 days of billing, then that would help

It's not getting paid for work that you don't do, it's a standard business to business clause to penalise one party for breaking the contract.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X