• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cold calling mystery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold calling mystery

I moved to a new area a few weeks ago. I paid to have a phone line put in and was allocated a number (different from the telephone number on the cable line that the landlady had).

I've just had a call on the landline asking for the landlady by name. It sounded like it was from an overseas call centre.

The landlady's name has never been associated with this telephone number, only with this address.

When I said the landlady had moved, they said they needed to speak to the house owner, I said I was a tenant and they hung up. 1471 says "the caller withheld their number".

I haven't even told the landlady the landline number; she only has our mobile numbers.

So where did they (and who were they) get this telephone number / landlady's name combination?

I assume there is a reverse list of address ---> telephone number and they used such a thing - does such a thing exist?

Even more annoyingly, I asked for this number to be ex-directory; and yes, it is registered with the Telephone Preference Service.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I assume there is a reverse list of address ---> telephone number and they used such a thing - does such a thing exist?
    BT certainly publish such a database, distributed via both optical media and available as a online enquiry service (via 600 baud modem in days gone by).
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I pass all cold calls onto my kids to deal with who have great fun saying 'I just need to take you through a few security questions. Please can you tell me your mothers maiden name?' etc.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
        I pass all cold calls onto my kids to deal with who have great fun saying 'I just need to take you through a few security questions. Please can you tell me your mothers maiden name?' etc.

I think that I'll try this. It sounds fun.

Comment

I'm amazed since I've been home during the day just how many calls I get. I usually get 2 or 3 each day either silent, or silent followed by a distance sounding voice (I hang up at that point), or "Congratulations... you have won" (I've never stayed on the line to find out what I've won). And this is being ex-directory and on the TPS.

At least the calls from Barclaycard for Stephen Kimberly seem to have stopped, whoever he is.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            At least the calls from Barclaycard for Stephen Kimberly seem to have stopped, whoever he is.

As soon as the line was installed I was getting automated calls. I put it down to the line having been used in the past elsewhere. The annoying ones were the daily calls wanting to speak to ... rummages through the recycling bin ... hits Google ...

Phew!

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I have found out who the daily caller is. It is Capital One credit cards people chasing Kim Lucas.
            I remembered the "Kim" part. I thought it was going to be the same name.

I am expecting my credit record to have got even worse, now I am associated with this Kim Lucas stranger.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

UK-Info Disk from 192.com

Comment

I pass all cold calls onto my kids to deal with....
                I normally let them speak to George on the speaker phone

http://www.e4.com/fonejacker/soundboard-george.html

Comment

Working...
                X