• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another clever law change from New Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another clever law change from New Labour

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=20842

New regulations set to come into force later this month will see motorists forced to cough up court costs - even if they're found not guilty or acquitted of motoring offences.

The government-inspired change to the current set-up - where drivers get costs refunded if they're innocent - is being implemented to save cash, in spite of fierce opposition from legal and motoring groups who were nominally 'consulted' before the new policy was drawn up.

According to the Ministry of Justice, the age old principle of 'the loser pays' has been costing the government too much money. As a result the new rules make it clear that in future drivers will have to foot the bill for clearing their name. According to The Taxpayers Alliance, that equates to 400,000 people, or one in four of those who challenge a ticket.

Kerrrching!

I'm sure you were doing 107 MPH sir, like to go to court and clear your name?

Labour know they will loose the next election (and loose it badly) and are in "spite" mode, trying to get back at us for not voting them back in whilst they still have the power to do so.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Labour know they will loose the next election (and loose it badly) and are in "spite" mode, trying to get back at us for not voting them back in whilst they still have the power to do so.
      That is the most childish argument I have read on here, and that really is saying something!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
        That is the most childish argument I have read on here, and that really is saying something!
        Agreed (sort of) but some of Cybertory's would have run it pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
          oops, maybe it needed scarasm tags/smilie

Or you need a sense of humour

seriously though, how the **** are you supposed to react to new labours attitude towards the court process in this country?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

They really are a bunch of *****.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              seriously though, how the **** are you supposed to react to new labours attitude towards the court process in this country?
              Charge them with treason.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=20842

New regulations set to come into force later this month will see motorists forced to cough up court costs - even if they're found not guilty or acquitted of motoring offences.

The government-inspired change to the current set-up - where drivers get costs refunded if they're innocent - is being implemented to save cash, in spite of fierce opposition from legal and motoring groups who were nominally 'consulted' before the new policy was drawn up.

According to the Ministry of Justice, the age old principle of 'the loser pays' has been costing the government too much money. As a result the new rules make it clear that in future drivers will have to foot the bill for clearing their name. According to The Taxpayers Alliance, that equates to 400,000 people, or one in four of those who challenge a ticket.

Kerrrching!

I'm sure you were doing 107 MPH sir, like to go to court and clear your name?

It sounds like they are starting to resurrect the old legal principle Rex non potest peccare ("The Crown can do no wrong"). In other words if official proceedings, whatever the outcome, leave you out of pocket then tough.

Before you know it they'll be abolishing legal aid, and will expect defendants to rely on the judge to protect their interests, like back in the 18th century (when defence briefs were not admitted in court during felony trials).

The Human Rights lawyers will have a field day with all this.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Seems a bit rough on poor people.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Seems a bit rough on poor people.
                    Everyone.

Irrespective of how much money someone has, why should they be out of pocket as a result of defending themselves against a charge that's untrue or has insufficient evidence?

What's being proposed is a case of gross injustice.

Comment

Working...
                    X