• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ffs - Hucking Hell - Early Termination!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ffs - Hucking Hell - Early Termination!!

boyz and girlz, new one on me.

landed a contract for 4 months over the summer and thought i was going to be right until December. anyhow landed on the project with new stuff to learn (silver light, sharepoint, large application) and worked solidly over the first 5 days to pick it all up - they were pleased with the progress over the period and then that's when the trouble began.

over the following weeks they started pushing for delivery. letting me know that the deadline was x ago, and that extra effort would be grateful...and that there was other deliverables to meet.

delivered the project, unit tested and all that - was pleased with the quality of the work, and then went for lunch came back and they said that because i had delivered early<?> there was nothing for me to do until the end of my contract, and that they were giving me my 1 week notice!!! cutting my 4 mths down to 1.5 mths!!!

damn and double damn! wished i saw it coming but in all honesty i think they got wind of the fact they could have had there deliverables early and under budget...learnt a hard lesson!!

just wondering if this was standard practise or anything?

maybe not standard "practice" as such but it happens. pick yourself up, dust yourself down and...

Comment

You delivered. Job done.

Bye!

It never pays to over-deliver.

Comment

same sort of thing happened to me on my last contract.
        Progress was going so well they could get rid of two of us a month early.

Contract before that went to the end but in the last 3 weeks I think I billed for only 3 days thanks to a very smooth handover.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

That's pretty poor, but at the end of the day, if the work took 1.5 months why should they pay you for 4?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SajStars View Post
            boyz and girlz, new one on me.

landed a contract for 4 months over the summer and thought i was going to be right until December. anyhow landed on the project with new stuff to learn (silver light, sharepoint, large application) and worked solidly over the first 5 days to pick it all up - they were pleased with the progress over the period and then that's when the trouble began.

over the following weeks they started pushing for delivery. letting me know that the deadline was x ago, and that extra effort would be grateful...and that there was other deliverables to meet.

delivered the project, unit tested and all that - was pleased with the quality of the work, and then went for lunch came back and they said that because i had delivered early<?> there was nothing for me to do until the end of my contract, and that they were giving me my 1 week notice!!! cutting my 4 mths down to 1.5 mths!!!

damn and double damn! wished i saw it coming but in all honesty i think they got wind of the fact they could have had there deliverables early and under budget...learnt a hard lesson!!

their

PLUS YOU SHOULD USE A CAPITAL LETTER FOR THE FIRST LETTER OF THE FIRST WORD OF EACH SENTENCE AND ALSO THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH PROPER NOUN.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Comment

Practise is a verb.

Practice is a noun.

Don't get me started on your punctuation.

As to your question, you have delivered so pat yourself on the back and move on. Getting paid when there is no work for you to do is for permies.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

PLUS YOU SHOULD USE A CAPITAL LETTER FOR THE FIRST LETTER OF THE FIRST WORD OF EACH SENTENCE AND ALSO THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH PROPER NOUN.
                  or what?

Comment

they said that because i had delivered early<?> there was nothing for me to do until the end of my contract, and that they were giving me my 1 week notice!!! cutting my 4 mths down to 1.5 mths!!!
                    First I'd say job professionally done; cold comfort perhaps but looks good on the CV.

Secondly, what were these "other deliverables" (2nd paragraph)? On my previous contract I completed early but my client had already lined up more development to take advantage of that. Does that mean they suggested other work was pending but no longer? If so, that's pretty mean of them.

Take note of DimPrawn's comments; I think he's summed it up. But I still think you are entitled to a and don't be hard on yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X