• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote access to PC based at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote access to PC based at home

What`s the best way to do this without paying a monthly fee for a service like gotomypc? I don`t have a second PC at the moment but want to have a PC at home that I can remote into from either PC at client sites or from my Notebook when away from home, using either Remote Desktop Connection or VNC or similar. Anyone able to do this?

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    What`s the best way to do this without paying a monthly fee for a service like gotomypc? I don`t have a second PC at the moment but want to have a PC at home that I can remote into from either PC at client sites or from my Notebook when away from home, using either Remote Desktop Connection or VNC
    Why not? I rdp all the time using my broadband. Never had any issues.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I use http://www.radmin.com/

I used to use VNC but found it painfully slow.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
        using either Remote Desktop Connection or VNC or similar. Anyone able to do this?
        You could use Remote Desktop or VNC or similar.

The problem will be getting around firewalls. Assuming you have a home router, you could easily set that up to accept incoming remote desktop/VNC connections (of course that's then a security risk), but on a client's site chances are they'll block it.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

www.logmein.com

Fast, free, runs from within web browser, no firewall issues, can have multiple computers, encrypted connection as well. I've used this for the past year with no probs
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

LogMeIn might be useful for you, you can get to your PC via a web browser.

www.logmein.com

Comment

What they, and I said.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                www.logmein.com

Fast, free, runs from within web browser, no firewall issues, can have multiple computers, encrypted connection as well. I've used this for the past year with no probs
                Gets my vote too.

Although I use it to connect to a PC in the office when I'm working from home, rather than the other way around.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've used Teamviewer for the last couple of years. It's free but does require software to installed at both ends.

Alternatively, use Remote Desktop. If you don't have a static IP address at home, use DYNDNS on your home PC.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

also www.mesh.com

Comment

Working...
                    X