• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear - "middle class" are going to suffer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear - "middle class" are going to suffer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8319646.stm

Benefits for the middle classes should be taken away to avoid higher taxes, a centre-right think tank has suggested.

Reform says payments including maternity pay, child benefit, the winter fuel allowance and TV licences for the elderly could be scrapped.

It says the UK spends £31bn a year on such benefits, equivalent to an extra 8 pence on the basic rate of income tax.

Reform says while times are hard, the leanest welfare system focused on the most needy, is all the UK can afford.

It defines middle class as a household where the total income equates to £15,000 a year for each adult and £5,000 per child.

Nice.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It defines middle class as a household where the total income equates to £15,000 a year for each adult and £5,000 per child.
    So a single person earning 15K in central London is middle class...

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      So a single person earning 15K in central London is middle class...
      Yeah, the filthy rich snobs. I hope they don't expect anything for their taxes, they can pay it out of their vast income.

Comment

In this country it's only worth being very poor or very rich.
        Because in both cases you can have a laugh and not give a tulip.
        But history shows the middle class rebel if you squeeze them enough.

Time to emigrate, methinks ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Luckily my "income" is less than that, so....

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

OK see you - have fun!

Comment

In this country it's only worth being very poor or very rich.
              Because in both cases you can have a laugh and not give a tulip.
              That's me.

Already done it.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I agree with this. I get £20 a week from HMRC for my little one but I don't really need it.

However I would say that all benefits should be scrapped. IMO the state should only provide:

* defence (couple of nukes pointed at France should do)
                * police
                * basic education with limited number of funded university places
                * basic bare essential health care
                * soup kitchens in time of recession

Income tax set to around 12p/£ flat, first £10K free. Scrap NI and everything else.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

I was a 'Barker', most definitely feel like a 'Corbett' these days.

I know my place.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I was a 'Barker', most definitely feel like a 'Corbett' these days.

I know my place.
                    I look up to 'Corbett'
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X