• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment Banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment Banks

So what is it like to work in these places? It is really that bad? Does anyone have a good experience?

How are the hours? Can you do 9-5 ? Can you do your hours early in the week and bugger off at lunchtime on Friday?
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 October 2009, 10:21.
    I'm alright Jack

Look what it did to Menelaus.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      So what is it like to work in these places? It is really that bad? Does anyone have a good experience?

How are the hours? Can you do 9-5 ? Can you do your hours early in the week and bugger off at lunchtime on Friday?
      I like them. Yes you can do short hours (Depends what you're working on, what area and what you boss is like).

I got paid well, working in a big network environment, on kit that was properly spec'd, in big datacentres, with primarily professionals who did the job properly. People were social, I went to the gym most lunchtimes, and generally had a great time.

Hardest part I reckon comes down to being able to work professionally (no cowboy antics, following procedure/change control as much as that can be a pani in the arse) and being able to work under an enormous amount of pressure from time to time.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I've worked in a few smaller ones. They were all pretty friendly and you could knock off at 5 if there weren't any dramas.

Obviously, going home whilst there's a drama on was frowned upon, but most people are adults and understand when you simply can't stay.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yes I have had good experiences in the past. For example 2 IB's I worked for, in both cases the contract kept renewing so that I was working for 2 and a half years continuously at each. Rates were good. However also had the opposite experience with manager from hell, treated like a dog and given crap low level work. But that can happen anywhere right ?

As for 9-5 I have worked at one IB where this was the norm but TBH it is very rare, definitely no sloping off at lunchtime on Fridays.

Certain IB's have a long reputation of extremely long hours, poor treatement of employees and nobody stays there very long. A certain v. large IB in CW springs to mind. Everyone I know who went there never lasted more than 9 months.

However nowadays I can't even get an interview when a role does come up. V. different to 1 yr ago.

Comment

From what i have read from other users here, i gathered some have worked with some horrible IB's. As for me and this being my 1st IB, i have nothing but praise for them. I come and go as i please and i have the choice to work from home whenever i desire. They actually dont care what hours i do as long as i get the job done. I work on FIX protocols predominantly and lately i have had tempting offers with one offering 500+ to move to other IB's but i turned them all down. I could take that and end up working with a bunch of tulips or keep my 400 a day job which offers peace of mind, so i kept my measly 400 a day rate

Comment

Working...
            X