• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something to worry about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to worry about?

Something to worry about? Thought some here might be interested...

Contractors who work through their own limited company may face a backlash over any dividend payments they make to themselves, an expert has said.

Paul Spindler, technology partner at chartered accountants Kingston Smith, warned that contractors should consider the repercussions of having a low salary and high bonus payments should HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) decide to investigate.

Speaking to industry site Contractor UK, he cited a recent case in which a contractor working through a limited company argued that dividend payments were part of a bonuses scheme and therefore could not be subject to PAYE or National Insurance.

HMRC disagreed with the contractor, adding: "The employees received their dividends not by reason of holding shares but because of their employment with the company."

The tax tribunal added that it is possible for dividend payments to be classified as both a bonus and as income.

Contractors have been subject to a number of recent financial changes, with the Financial Services Authority proposing to bring an end to self-certified mortgages.

http://www.excelliumumbrella.com/new...hp?id=19422889

I wonder who you work for...

FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      I wonder who you work for...

FFS!
      Same story was in the ContractorUK newsletter.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

FFS +1

If the divi had done the divi properly in the first place (i.e. had shares AND declared them as dividends properly) he probably wouldn't be in that situation.
        In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
          FFS +1

If the divi had done the divi properly in the first place (i.e. had shares AND declared them as dividends properly) he probably wouldn't be in that situation.
          Yes, a tip for newbies: accountants may seem expensive, but never look on them as a cost, but at how much they will save you.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Same story was in the ContractorUK newsletter.
            Oh? Sorry - don't get that newsletter, only get the one that I attached. Attached cause thought you guys might want to know where I got the info.

So old news then? Hmm, will have to think of a new topic. Geez - you guys are hard to please.....

Comment

blooming heck, just heard

the Beatles are splitting up

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Dong View Post
                Oh? Sorry - don't get that newsletter, only get the one that I attached. Attached cause thought you guys might want to know where I got the info.

So old news then? Hmm, will have to think of a new topic. Geez - you guys are hard to please.....
                We only come across harsh as you quoted it and put a link to an umbrella company at the end... it gives the impression that you're trying to sell their services, and as you only have 20 posts it makes it more likely that you a) joined the forum, b) post some normal type stuff to get in with the crowd and then c) pow, in with the company recommendations you have a link with.

If you've nothing to do with them fine, but we're a cynical bunch...!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Yes, a tip for newbies: accountants may seem expensive, but never look on them as a cost, but at how much they will save you.
                  Exactly! Same goes for PI, Insurance etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
                    We only come across harsh as you quoted it and put a link to an umbrella company at the end... it gives the impression that you're trying to sell their services, and as you only have 20 posts it makes it more likely that you a) joined the forum, b) post some normal type stuff to get in with the crowd and then c) pow, in with the company recommendations you have a link with.

If you've nothing to do with them fine, but we're a cynical bunch...!
                    WHS +1
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X