• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blood Pressure 140/97

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood Pressure 140/97

Went to the gym yesterday and they said my BP is high at 140/97...im only 29 yrs old. Anything to worry about?

I dont feel stressed now but have been stressed this year:

Partner very ill in pregnancy
    New baby (5 weeks old)
    Only getting 3/4 hrs sleep a night
    Sole breadwinner (not too much of an issue)
    I Eat too much sugar and salt
    I dont exercise enough
    I gave up smoking 2 weeks ago (smoked about 5 a day)

You can't base it on one reading.

Go to Boots or Tesco and buy a decent blood pressure monitor (not a cheap one) and measure it at different time of the day and keep a log.

Then take the results to your GP if your blood pressure goes very high or stays high persistently.

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
      Anything to worry about?
      Only if you give up exercise and start eating lard sandwiches for breakfast lunch and dinner*.

* I am in no way qualified to do anything but offer poor jokes on this matter.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Went to the gym yesterday and they said my BP is high at 140/97...im only 29 yrs old. Anything to worry about?

I dont feel stressed now but have been stressed this year:

Partner very ill in pregnancy
        New baby (5 weeks old)
        Only getting 3/4 hrs sleep a night
        Sole breadwinner (not too much of an issue)
        I dont exercise enough
        Go see a doctor. Also suggest you take up cycling, but only around the block at first.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I dont exercise enough
          Well there you have it.
          Would be rather strange if you didn't have any symptoms, eh?
          HTH

PS I'm sorry but I found your post annoying. Its only too typical of the country nowadays though.
          Last edited by sasguru; 23 October 2009, 09:35.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

For goodness sake take a holiday.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It can be dangerous if your head turns red and swells up. I had this happen to me ten years ago, and there is still no sign of the swelling going down.
              Luckily the sharp pains in my liver take my mind off the dizzy spells and the ringing in my ears

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Anything to worry about?
                If you're like this at 29, heart attack/stroke or some other nasty occurence is a very high possibility at some stage imo. Get it sorted.

Comment

I know the feeling, because I was only getting 4 hours sleep a night when my baby was born.

Cut out the salt for a start. The slightest amount raises my blood pressure sky high.

And dont worry when you take a reading, it will make it worse

Seriously, I would also take it easy in the gym. Many people have dropped dead in those places by over-exerting themselves. Go for a long walk instead.
                  Last edited by SantaClaus; 23 October 2009, 09:41.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

That is borderline high, mine goes to that the next day after I have had a good booze session. I just measure my own with the pump thing and a stethoscope.

Comment

Working...
                    X