• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear or Doomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear or Doomed!

Oh dear (TM)

You mean 33 economists may not have got it right? Shock, horror!

U.K. Economy Unexpectedly Shrinks in Longest Slump

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aoJTUKcx.E9A

Oct. 23 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. gross domestic product unexpectedly dropped in the third quarter as enduring slumps in services, manufacturing and construction kept the economy mired in its longest recession on record. The pound tumbled.

Gross domestic product dropped 0.4 percent from the previous three months, the Office for National Statistics said today in London. Economists predicted a 0.2 percent increase, according to the median of 33 forecasts in a Bloomberg News survey. None forecast a contraction. The economy has now shrunk over six quarters, the most since records began in 1955.

The figures add to Prime Minister Gordon Brown’s woes as he struggles to cement a recovery in time for a general election due by June and suggest Bank of England officials may extend their bond-purchase program on Nov. 5. Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling said today he stands by his forecast that the economy will start growing this year.

“The fact that the economy is still contracting despite the huge amount of policy stimulus supports our view that the recovery will be a long, slow process,” said Vicky Redwood, U.K. economist at Capital Economics Ltd in London. “An extension to QE at the upcoming November meeting now looks even more likely.”

The pound fell 1 percent to $1.6460 after the figures. The yield on the two-year U.K. government bond slipped 5 basis points to 0.87 percent as of 9:51 a.m. in London.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 23 October 2009, 09:37.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

I know the economy has contracted 6 quarters in a row : but what is the total drop?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I know the economy has contracted 6 quarters in a row : but what is the total drop?
      Here you go: ONS - GDP and Unemployment
      Current and previous recessions compared

Quarter three of 2009 was the fifth consecutive quarter of steep contraction, following a small decline in quarter two of 2008. In the latest period GDP was 5.9 percentage points below its pre-recession level. This compares to equivalent figures of 2.5 percentage points for the same period in the 1990s recession and 4.7 percentage points in the 1980s recession.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Thank you kind Sir. You are top banana. I was predicting a total drop of 8% so looks like I will be out......

Comment

Thank you kind Sir. You are top banana. I was predicting a total drop of 8% so looks like I will be out......
          Sorry Brillo, been busy this afternoon.

I do hope that you wont be out!
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            F***ty, f***ty, f***ty, f***ty, f*** f*** f***.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              F***ty, f***ty, f***ty, f***ty, f*** f*** f***.
              Is there a * missing in the first few of those? Depends how you pronounce it I suppose.

Comment

The figures above say UK GNP has dropped 5.9% since the start of Gordon's recession.

When this reaches 10% it's officially a depression isn't it?

I'm just watching a programme with newsreels from the 1930's depression. Doesn't look like fun. Except Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers - they were good.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Except Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers - they were good.
                  Yes, they used to have these dancing competitions, where the last couple dancing were the winners. People would die from exhaustion.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It ain't over yet... although I doubt it will drop that much. The expected rise in VAT will probably kick start some spending in December that should be enough to push us over the bar.

6% is still a hefty drop though...

Comment

Working...
                    X