• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It' not a lack of exercise that makes you fat...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It' not a lack of exercise that makes you fat...

...it's the stuffing yer face that does it.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6878496.ece

Winners of the 'No tulipe Sherlock' award.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

19 minutes on elliptical trainer equals a banana
    Staggering!

I wonder what 2 pints of Guinness and a ham sandwich equals.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Staggering!

ham, tomato and mustard

Comment

If you're dumb enough to think you can eat kebabs every day but a run around the block twice a week will sort you out you deserve to be fat.

These articles always take things out of context. Of course exercise alone with a shabby diet won't be very effective. Just as a limited calorie diet but being completely sedentary might help you lose weight but you'll lose all your muscle as well and set your body on starvation mode making weight gain far more likely in the long term. Combination of exercise and healthy diet is the only effective way to lose weight in the long term.

People who 'earn' a muffin by going for a run aren't likely to be particularly fit or healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          ...it's the stuffing yer face that does it.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6878496.ece

Winners of the 'No tulipe Sherlock' award.
          Simple equation really :-

Intake - Expelled - Calories Burned = Weight adjustment

No matter how fancy the diet or the science behind it - it all comes down to that...

Comment

This confirms what I said long ago on fat threads. Exercise is of virtually bugger-all use in influencing the daily calorie account balance. (It can and should be done for other reasons, but that's beside the point.)

People who haven't a clue, i.e. have never actually lost a stone or two themselves and kept if off for a few years, are the ones who advocate exercise as a significant part of the solution.

45 minutes running on treadmill at 7mph equals one blueberry muffin (420 calories)

Comment

This comment below the article said it better than I did

I'm surprised the author is surprised. It's quite obvious that you have to do a vast amount of exercise (3000 calories worth, or about 8 hours jogging) to lose one pound in weight. It is ALL about what goes in the mouth and very little about how much exercise you do. Exercise is vital for your heart, lungs, cardio system, muscles bones and joints, but it's the food that makes you fat and it's the reduction of food that makes you slimmer.

Comment

Well.... I find a significant amount of exercise is the key.

Mainly because it restricts the opportunities to have a snack.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Staggering!

About 2 and a half hours running, I calculate.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                    This confirms what I said long ago on fat threads. Exercise is of virtually bugger-all use in influencing the daily calorie account balance. (It can and should be done for other reasons, but that's beside the point.)

People who haven't a clue, i.e. have never actually lost a stone or two themselves and kept if off for a few years, are the ones who advocate exercise as a significant part of the solution.
                    Aye, though the body may be a bit naughty and burn muscle as well as fat when calories are restricted. Heck, AFAIK the body catabolises muscles when they aren't used and will regenerate them quickly when you exercise and eat. They also burn energy just in existing, which is perhaps why the body is keen to burn them off when energy is scarce.

Comment

Working...
                    X