• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Particularly Nasty Bunch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particularly Nasty Bunch

I was approached about a SQL Server related role by an agency I had never heard of who are currently advertising on the job boards.

The initial approach was
    1)
    I have a role which fits your skills and I am happy to forward your CV however the role has been open a little while with another agency and I am going to tell my client you have a number of interviews pending(I already said I didn't) to make you more attractive to them so that they will want to interview you quickly. So that was the hook.

2) But in order to do this I need to discuss the roles you are currently applying for. I explained how I couldn't tell him the names of the Co as this would not be fair to the other agency.

3) He appeared to accept that but continued to question me closely about what sector, where about it was etc. As this stage I had enough and explained politely that he was making a fishing call and I didn't want to continue the conversation.

4) At this point he started getting very unpleasant and personal. Stating that it was no wonder I hadn't found a job and there must be something wrong with me as my attitude was all wrong and that his agency had a different approach to finding the right candidate for the role, yeah right... And if you are out here

Anway watch out for them as I see they are on the prowl again posting loads of non-existent roles again this afternoon.

Name and shame, you know the drill

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOD View Post
      Is that allowed on here , aren't I opening up both myself and CUK to a libel suit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
        4) At this point he started getting very unpleasant and personal. Stating that it was no wonder I hadn't found a job and there must be something wrong with me as my attitude was all wrong and that his agency had a different approach to finding the right candidate for the role, yeah right... And if you are out here
        I never even let them get that far these days. My days of being wound up by agents are long gone.

The minute you detect the BS, simply say, "I'm sorry, I don't do business this way; I only deal with agencies who are professional. Thank you very much for your time." And then put the phone down. Always works for me.

Nomadd
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

When agants have a role to fill, and a real one i mean, and you are a good fit, don't worry they will be nice as pie ...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            I never even let them get that far these days. My days of being wound up by agents are long gone.

The minute you detect the BS, simply say, "I'm sorry, I don't do business this way; I only deal with agencies who are professional. Thank you very much for your time." And then put the phone down. Always works for me.

Nomadd
            Ah yes but me thinks you have got a nice gig recently. I don't so I need to be 100% sure that I am not writing off the possibility of the one call that might produce the job, as you never can tell when it's going to come along...

I know what you're saying but this guy was quite cunning with the initial hook which is sometimes hard to let go...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOD View Post
              Is that allowed on here , aren't I opening up both myself and CUK to a libel suit ?
              Can't see anything libelous in what you posted.

And the agency is.....

Comment

We're Different

http://www.firstpoint-it.co.uk/clients-different.aspx

Comment

It's only libel if it's untrue...

Technically that doesn't neccessarily stop them from suing, but if you what you say was a true reflection of the call, any action will fail.

Comment

At First Point, we would rather send no CVs than one unsuitable one

Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X