• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to contracting

Hi
    I have just accepted a contract in Brussels, initially for 6 mo temporary contract.

I have obtained the services of an accountant and he recommended a UK Ltd company which I have now obtained. However, reading the threads on here, it seems a lot more complicated than he made it out to be (start UK ltd, invoice, pay low salary, NI and get dividends @ 20% corp tax)

I arrived here on Thursday and start tomorrow. I presume, I can simply invoice through my UK Ltd and let my accountant handle the rest? Stories of dual-tax residency, Belgian employment tax, etc are frightening!

Hi

Just to follow up on this I have discovered LIMOSA

I have a Belgian contract of employment between myself and a contracting agency, but I don't think I'll be paying any SSC. No-one at the agency mentioned this to me, so I'm wondering if it applies?

It's all very confusing

Comment

look into the 183 day rule

If you have a 6 month contract in Belgium you should look into the 183 day rule. I think it is similar to the netherlands and germany. basically stating that you may not be liable for tax in belgium because you are not there for over 183 days. you could also not be a resident of the UK for tax purposes so you may be able to not pay any tax. See your accountant about it. If that is the case there is no need to use a limited company in the uk. You would be cheaper off to be self employed. Ask your accountant or research it a little. If your co doesn t want to let you not go through a ltd co then try mitsulimited.co.uk
      they should be able to help you

Comment

Working...
      X