• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George Best

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Best

Doctor comes up to George as he is lying in bed in hospital and says:

"George, I have some bad news and some good news for you, which would you like first?"

"The bad news please" says George.

"Well" says the doc "I am afraid that you only have an hour to live"

"Oh no" says George horrified, "what's the good news doc?"

"Well the good news" says the doc "is that its Happy Hour"
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

So Dodgy you are having an affair and your conscience is getting at you. Pesky thing your conscience isnt it?
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
      So Dodgy you are having an affair and your conscience is getting at you. Pesky thing your conscience isnt it?
      I was looking to the bible for some guidance as it seems it is not just a question of "do or dont". I am just trying to find if there are any mitigating circumstances where just between you and I, I can get my leg over without having to answer to the lord god almighty... either of them
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent

I was looking to the bible for some guidance as it seems it is not just a question of "do or dont". I am just trying to find if there are any mitigating circumstances where just between you and I, I can get my leg over without having to answer to the lord god almighty... either of them
        Best way to deal with this conundrum is to remember that it was God whom in his infinite wisdom,granted you that excess Libido.

Go forth, be frutiful and multiply.

PS Good to see that the old Arthur Avatar is back. Better by far.

Comment

Why is it that George Best gets so much attention for his self destruction?

I have considerably more admiration for that poor lady who, suffering from terminal cancer, had a terrible accident on her wedding day, on the way to the nearby church, and lost both her legs after the train of her wedding dress was caught up in a motorbikes wheels. I mean, you cant even begin to imagine what kind of a tragedy that is.

That brave woman was smiling, for fecks sake, lying in a hospital bed after her legs had been amputated, and the couple rearranged the wedding date.

Now those are people who deserve attention - not some self destructive alchie who has had two opportunities and p!ssed them both away as quickly as he could.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

George Best, I wasn't keen on the person, but a great player.

His brother Clyde could play a bit, too.

Comment

Good point Mc, but I suspect the reason lies in the fact that Best is a celebrity, and as such, celebrities sell papers....witness the Cult of the Celebrity pandemic.

Both stories are tragic, agreed, but Best's story is the more provocative in terms of varied emotions. With the other story, you can only feel sympathy...with Best you feel a much wider range of emotions (like...wtf ? not again, stupid tw@t, etc,,etc,,etc)

There is more media milage in Best.....you can write endless 2 page specials about this, that and the other. With the other story...well, you can't really.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I guess so - 'Jordan' has longer lasting media coverage than the deaths of tens of thousands of people in a Tsunami, just because she has fake boobs and gets them out at the sight of a camera. But, isnt that something to be ashamed of, and discussed?

Its the sympathy aspect of this continous story I cant get my head round though.... Best has squandered two chances at an amazing life, while the lady I mentioned, through no fault of her own, has had a desperately unlikey roll of the dice, yet manages to keep control of herself, and make what she can of the time she has. And I take my cap off to her fiance/husband.

I know which id choose to spend an evening chatting to.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                  I guess so - 'Jordan' has longer lasting media coverage than the deaths of tens of thousands of people in a Tsunami, just because she has fake boobs and gets them out at the sight of a camera. But, isnt that something to be ashamed of, and discussed?

Its the sympathy aspect of this continous story I cant get my head round though.... Best has squandered two chances at an amazing life, while the lady I mentioned, through no fault of her own, has had a desperately unlikey roll of the dice, yet manages to keep control of herself, and make what she can of the time she has. And I take my cap off to her fiance/husband.

I know which id choose to spend an evening chatting to.
                  Who the hell are you to pass judgement upon George Best? He was a brilliant footballer who brought enrichment to the lives of many many thousands (even millions) of people. He brought pleasure even to people who hated man utd. He is no saint, but he has paid the price (if you can call it that) of fame.
                  The world is a better place for the likes of George; he didnt go around judging others or trying to tell them how they should lead their lives and nor was he sanctimonious like losers like you tend to be.

You stick to your sad sorry little existence and let George get on with his life

I bet you one thing-the poor unfortunate lady that you talk of would without doubt prefer to spend her dying days with George Best than she would with you, unless of course she had a desire to end her own life prematurely.
                  Last edited by DodgyAgent; 22 November 2005, 19:40.

Comment

The world is a better place for the likes of George; he didnt going around judging others or trying to tell them how they should lead their lives and nor was he sanctimonious like losers like you tend to be.
                    Ah the distorted views of Dodgy Agent are always amusing.... a cheating, drunken has been is to be lauded as he doesnt give a toss about anything...

A person who makes the best of what life has dealt her is nothing in comparison.

Anyone who seeks to identify with the latter is a sanctimonious loser, while you, who identify with a dying failure (how appropriate) just lash out and want to lower the world to your level.

And you start a thread making jokes about George Best dying, then defend him. Oh dear.

You stick to your sad sorry little existence and let George get on with his life
                    Im quite happy to - it wont take long after all. I just wish everyone else would let him die away from the headlines as well.
                    Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 November 2005, 19:52.
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X