• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We bail them out and then this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We bail them out and then this?

They are definitely not doing themselves any favours. I will definitely be switching.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/8322859.stm

Originally posted by uky kozak View Post
    They are definitely not doing themselves any favours. I will definitely be switching.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/8322859.stm
    It's because they know that their £30 per overdraft letter charges will be deemed illegal soon - and this makes up quite a chunk of their profits.

So they're finding ways to make up the shortfall.

Comment

Dont ******* spend what you havent got then you wont get charged!

Its not rocket science!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Dont ******* spend what you havent got then you wont get charged!
        Many years ago my wife's employer cocked up the payroll and it ran a few days late. The direct debits & standing orders sent my wife overdrawn. That ended up costing me the best part of £300: as fast as I put money in her account, NatWest would send another £25 letter plus "unauthorised overdraft" fines, interest and other sundry charges. Eventually, after about 3 weeks of trying to top the account up I just put £500 in there to make it stop.

She had gone about £8 overdrawn.

A few months ago my bank cocked up my rent direct debit and it got paid out twice. Normally I keep a £2,500 float in my current account for such cock-ups but for once I had not for some reason. It took me a month to get the bank to grudgingly pay me a discretionary £25 "full and final settlement without prejudice" despite their own terms and conditions saying they pay £30 for cock-ups. They did not repay me the interest they charged. I suspect it has gone on my credit record too.

Sometimes it is not the account holder's fault.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Its not rocket science!
        Nor are apostrophes.

Edit: the banks are c***s.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

BrowneIssue's story is a lesson in why you should minimise the number of direct debits you have. You'll get the money back if you are charged twice but try getting back your bank charges
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Why not just get a few K overdraft facility? It acts as a big buffer against the bank charges and the interest over 1 month is low.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              BrowneIssue's story is a lesson in why you should minimise the number of direct debits you have. You'll get the money back if you are charged twice but try getting back your bank charges
              Oops. Contrary to what I said above, the rent was a standing order (a common condition of the rental contract), not a direct debit, so no Direct Debit Guarantee applied.

I had been asked to fill in a two-part form:

==============================

Please cancel the Standing Order to Mrs Landlady, Thieving Bank

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please start a Standing Order to Landlady, Mrs, Toerag BankCo

==============================

My bank did the 2nd bit but not the first.

I had to ask the landlady to refund me the rent; the bank wouldn't accept liability. Bastards.
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Why not just get a few K overdraft facility? It acts as a big buffer against the bank charges and the interest over 1 month is low.
                But the HBOS changes are that everyone who goes overdrawn, even slightly, and even if within limit gets charged £1-2 per day. If you go over limit, it's a tenner per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Absolutely. That's the reason I refuse to have any direct debits other than my mortgage.

Barclays now have something called a "reserve" where by default you are opted into a system that allows you to exceed your overdraft for £1 a day (per amount over - not sure of the details). But you can also opt out, so that any debit card transaction that would take you over, like an attempted cash withdrawal or debit card payment will simply be refused, presumably free (apart from bounced cheques).

If HBOS similarly allow their account holders to opt out, like Barclays, then fair enough - In that case it's just an idiot tax on those too stupid to realize the trap in store for them or too lazy to opt out.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

BI, I don't know why you've accepted that sort of behaviour from your bank. There is an ombudsman if they won't play ball.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X