• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go?

Almost serious question for Monday morning - I fully expect only serious replies

Just finishing a three monther on a not bad desktop migration / rollout project. Crap rate though

Looks like they are going to offer an extension BUT same crap rate and it appears I'll get tagged onto the service desk dealing with the outstanding crap calls floating around that the permies don't want to do.

War chest is good:-)

Pro's
    Gives me something to do
    Another three months taken care of (before the recession ends)

Con's
    I don't like it
    Crap rate
    Under uses my skill set - I can do servers you know!

What do the panel suggest?

Go.

You can do better.

Comment

One of the reasons I went into contracting was to be able to get away from the Great British winter for a few months and reside somewhere lovely and warm.

If personal circumstances allow, I'd pack a bag and go.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Go.

You can do better.
        Ta - I could use the time to think of a plan D
        (Contracting is plan C, Permie was plan B, 1st career was plan A)

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
          One of the reasons I went into contracting was to be able to get away from the Great British winter for a few months and reside somewhere lovely and warm.

If personal circumstances allow, I'd pack a bag and go.
          Funny you should say that........
          One reason for my wavering about staying or going is there are only three months to kill before off to Aus for a few weeks

Comment

Whats your notice period??

Take the extension and then give a months notice, should be enough time to get a better contract lined up and keep you earning.

Unless you want to take a break....but then if you knew that you wouldn't of wasted our time with the OP...right??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
              Funny you should say that........
              One reason for my wavering about staying or going is there are only three months to kill before off to Aus for a few weeks
              In that case I personally would stay.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                Whats your notice period??

Take the extension and then give a months notice
                No, I don't like doing that. If MyCo agrees to a contract, then it does its best to complete it.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  Almost serious question for Monday morning - I fully expect only serious replies

Just finishing a three monther on a not bad desktop migration / rollout project. Crap rate though

Looks like they are going to offer an extension BUT same crap rate and it appears I'll get tagged onto the service desk dealing with the outstanding crap calls floating around that the permies don't want to do.

War chest is good:-)

Pro's
                  Gives me something to do
                  Another three months taken care of (before the recession ends)

Con's
                  I don't like it
                  Crap rate
                  Under uses my skill set - I can do servers you know!

What do the panel suggest?
                  Take the contract. It'll see you through to Christmas.

Jan/Feb is the most depressing time of the year. Best time for a long holiday!

Comment

Stay.

Comment

Working...
                    X