• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Classic New Labour thinking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic New Labour thinking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8325116.stm

Despite spending £20m on the development, the site in Glastonbury has now lain dormant for over eight years, failing to attract the desired tenants even when the British economy was booming.

Still, the South West Regional Development Agency is unrepentant about turning businesses away.

"It's not a question of not being posh enough, but certainly they weren't part of the sectors we were looking to encourage at the site," says James Harper, head of communications at SWRDA.

"We wanted Morlands to be a model of employment in sectors that were going to be new and important to the South West economy for the years ahead."

The nine Regional Development Agencies (RDAs) receive more than £2bn a year between them from the government. (unelected quangos).

Their aim is to create local jobs, support local business and promote the long-term development of the regional economies.

Taxpayer's money well spent eh?

I'm coming round to the view that we would be better off without government at all. There were no problems that could not be sorted with big clubs and pointed sticks in the good old days.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      I'm coming round to the view that we would be better off without government at all. There were no problems that could not be sorted with big clubs and pointed sticks in the good old days.
      In the good old days, senile old farts were, no doubt, clubbed to death as being a drain on resources.
      Which is not good news for you, or as time goes on, me.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8325116.stm

Despite spending £20m on the development, the site in Glastonbury has now lain dormant for over eight years, failing to attract the desired tenants even when the British economy was booming.

Still, the South West Regional Development Agency is unrepentant about turning businesses away.

"It's not a question of not being posh enough, but certainly they weren't part of the sectors we were looking to encourage at the site," says James Harper, head of communications at SWRDA.

"We wanted Morlands to be a model of employment in sectors that were going to be new and important to the South West economy for the years ahead."

The nine Regional Development Agencies (RDAs) receive more than £2bn a year between them from the government. (unelected quangos).

Their aim is to create local jobs, support local business and promote the long-term development of the regional economies.

Taxpayer's money well spent eh?
        Sounds like a result to me- Im sure that the scheme has created employment for a security guard. If he is an immigrant, then it surely it must be congratulations all round!

PZZ

Comment

I guess that this kind of thing is what results when Government dabble in things they know nothing about.

I guess the developer got paid by the RDA, so he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Wonder if the RDA just had 8 million left over at year end and were wondering what to do with it when he phoned looking for a few quid. It would still be preferable to giving it back to The Treasury to waste it on interest payments or whatever.

PZZ
          Last edited by pzz76077; 26 October 2009, 13:38.

Comment

Working...
          X