• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview

I am scheduled to attend an interview tomorrow at 9am, but the job spec and details about the role were scant so I asked for more information so that I could properly prepared.

The agency e-mailed me to say that the account manager would ring me later this afternoon to give me more information. He hasn't done this.

Should I just re-schedule the interview or just show up anyway? I live in London and the job is also in London. I don't want to waste my time and money though for a role that isn't really for me.

I went for an interview recently that specified it was a C# role....

When I turned up, everything went swimmingly for 50 minutes out of the allocated hour, and the technical guys basically went mute after id discussed my CV.

Then, the HR lady piped up and said 'erm, you seem to mention C# a lot on your CV, have you used VB.Net...?' - the agent had messed up and i had been told it was a C# contract.

I just answered that the most important aspects of working with .Net were understanding the inherent classes, possible architectures for applications, and the principles of good OO application development.

I got the job. I had the contract in my email within 3 hours of the interview, having beaten two VB.Net people.

Its up to you if you attend, but I suppose as a contractor you need to be flexible anyway.... its one of our essential skills. Ive found that more and more, formal job specs are not being written by clients, and you have to think on your feet....

I would suggest go anyway.... if nothing else it keeps you on good terms with the client for future potential roles, as its really too late to back out now. You might be unsuitable for this role, but its not your fault, and if you behave professionally, both agent and client will consider you for other roles if available.

P.S Real life interview practice is worth the travel cost anyway, as you live within the same city.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      I went for an interview recently that specified it was a C# role....

When I turned up, everything went swimmingly for 50 minutes out of the allocated hour, and the technical guys basically went mute after id discussed my CV.

Then, the HR lady piped up and said 'erm, you seem to mention C# a lot on your CV, have you used VB.Net...?' - the agent had messed up and i had been told it was a C# contract.

I just answered that the most important aspects of working with .Net were understanding the inherent classes, possible architectures for applications, and the principles of good OO application development.

I got the job. I had the contract in my email within 3 hours of the interview, having beaten two VB.Net people.

Its up to you if you attend, but I suppose as a contractor you need to be flexible anyway.... its one of our essential skills. Ive found that more and more, formal job specs are not being written by clients, and you have to think on your feet....

I would suggest go anyway.... if nothing else it keeps you on good terms with the client for future potential roles, as its really too late to back out now. You might be unsuitable for this role, but its not your fault, and if you behave professionally, both agent and client will consider you for other roles if available.

P.S Real life interview practice is worth the travel cost anyway, as you live within the same city.
      That is the first intelligent opinion that you have made mcq. Beginners luck?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No Dodgy, its just that i dont work as an agent.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Go to the interview and see what happens. If they want a VB developer and you're a C# developer and you're not suitable, then ask the interviewer if he uses SOAP. If he says no, say "I thought so, you stink" and throw coffee all over him.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
            X