• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Stich Up in Time ... ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Stich Up in Time ... ?

Time Travel ? Don't make me laugh ...

While it is a paradox to go back in time and kill your grandfather, physicists agree there is no paradox if you go back in time and save him from being hit by a bus. In the case of the Higgs and the collider, it is as if something is going back in time to keep the universe from being hit by a bus."

An interesting theory has been revealed which may point to the reasons so much is going wrong with the Large Hadron Collider, and it revolves around Time Travel.

The New York Times has unearthed an article by physicists Holger Bech Nielsen and Masao Ninomiya that pose a number of 'timeless' questions surrounding the LHC.

The essay is titled 'Test of Effect From Future in Large Hadron Collider: a Proposal' – although we would have called it 'Run for it Marty: Doc Brown was right' – and put forward the theory that bad luck will dog the launch of the LHC, with future influences stopping the Collider from doing its job.

Interestingly, these theories were announced before the calamitous string of incidents that have postponed the LHC from finding the hallowed Higgs boson particle.

Future shock

In the article it states: "Since LHC will produce particles of a mathematically new type of fundamental scalars, ie, the Higgs particles, there is potentially a chance to find unseen effects, such as on influence going from future to past, which we suggest in the present paper."

The pair then go on to explain the effects the LHC may have on the future by way of a card game.

Although this theory has been royally bashed in a number of science blogs, as the New York Times points out, the physicists believe it to be crazy too but: "While it is a paradox to go back in time and kill your grandfather, physicists agree there is no paradox if you go back in time and save him from being hit by a bus. In the case of the Higgs and the collider, it is as if something is going back in time to keep the universe from being hit by a bus."

Is something interfering with the Time Lines ?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 October 2009, 15:01.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...nt-nature.html

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

Yeah, sorry, that was me... My Flux Capacitor is on the blink again so I whacked, I mean, fixed it with a hammer...

I blame Andyw.
      In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Time Will Tell

We interrupt this program to bring you a messsage from Titan :

"The Church of God the Utterly Indifferent- Puny man can do nothing at all to help or please God Almighty, and Luck is not the hand of God."

That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
          Yeah, sorry, that was me... My Flux Capacitor is on the blink again so I whacked, I mean, fixed it with a hammer...

I blame Andyw.
          I have the same problem with the Chameleon Circuits - I suspect the Flux Capacitor was playing up but its proving a tad difficult to find a suitable replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            I have the same problem with the Chameleon Circuits - I suspect the Flux Capacitor was playing up but its proving a tad difficult to find a suitable replacement.
            Have you tried bleeding the radiator? De Loreans are notorious for it...!
            In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Working...
            X