• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living the No Waste culture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living the No Waste culture

...which might involve eating the culture on the no waste food.

I bought an Innocent chunky soup last week at my lodgings but never got around to eating it.

The Best Before date was yesterday but now even the government says that we can eat stuff after the BB date.

But there was a definite sour/fermenting taste to it.

I'll let you know if I (or at least my bowels) survive the night.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I bought an Innocent chunky soup last week at my lodgings but never got around to eating it.

The Best Before date was yesterday but now even the government says that we can eat stuff after the BB date.

Linky?

If the government says it it must be stupid.

Enjoy some explosive diarohhea (or however you it)

Comment

Linky here...

<gurgle...>

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Are you OK cojak?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Best Before Date is a guideline, if it smells funny don't eat it!
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

"Best before" is advice.

"Use by" is an instruction.

Having said that, twenty years ago I spent a miserable six months working for "a leading supermarket chain" and for some reason I ended up being seconded onto the fresh meat section early on a Saturday morning. Most of the meat would arrive from the depot and would be cut up and placed in the individual packages in store.

Before the store opened on a Saturday morning the "butchers" would walk around the meat counters and collect up all the packets that were one day before the "use by" date and take them out the back.

If the meat was not discoloured it would be repackaged with a new "use by date" and put back out on the shelves.

If the meat was discoloured noone would by it so it became "fresh mince" and then went back out on the shelves. Some very good cuts of meat used to go in that mince but there was never much waste....

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              "Best before" is advice.

"Use by" is an instruction.

Having said that, twenty years ago I spent a miserable six months working for "a leading supermarket chain" and for some reason I ended up being seconded onto the fresh meat section early on a Saturday morning. Most of the meat would arrive from the depot and would be cut up and placed in the individual packages in store.

Before the store opened on a Saturday morning the "butchers" would walk around the meat counters and collect up all the packets that were one day before the "use by" date and take them out the back.

If the meat was not discoloured it would be repackaged with a new "use by date" and put back out on the shelves.

If the meat was discoloured noone would by it so it became "fresh mince" and then went back out on the shelves. Some very good cuts of meat used to go in that mince but there was never much waste....
              A couple of supermarket chains in Denmark have been caught doing that, it was all over the papers for a few days.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It is amazing we are here! Think of the centuries when there were no "best before" or "use by" dates on food. What did people ever do?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                  It is amazing we are here! Think of the centuries when there were no "best before" or "use by" dates on food. What did people ever do?
                  Die of undiagnosed food poisoning, probably.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

They ate local food

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                    People used to shop daily so there was no need for "best before" or "use by"
                    If you get the chance to go on holiday to a 3rd world country visit a local
                    market or souk. The meat you buy there was alive yesterday whereas in Europe it was probabily imported from NZ. The supermarkets will do their best to cheat so the Govt uses "best before" or "use by" dates for your peace of mind. They still cheat.Your local Butcher would not have cheated as his reputation was at stake.

Comment

Working...
                    X