• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I don't do.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't do.....

benchtime very well....

Streesed out / frustrated / fed up and argumentative....

No money worries, apart from the smallish hole in my warchest....

Missus very understanding...

Took a corporate personality test - part of the results stated that I should seek help from HR(?) or an external counsellor....

Don't really want to do that yet- it's been only 3 months so far...

Any ideas????

Read the Daily Mail.

Very relaxing.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel, I've been on the bench for nearly 6 months now and was a nightmare to live with for the first few months.

Some suggestions which worked for me:

1) Don't spend more than a couple of hours each day looking for your next job.
      2) Get out of the house as much as possible. So bike rides, runs, helping out at the school if you have kids of primary school age etc
      3) Study for some relevant certifications to tart up your CV with.
      4) Remain positive even if you aren't getting the interviews you would expect.
      5) Spend your evenings in much the same way as you used to when you were working i.e. relax
      6) Speak to the crap agencies as little as humanly possible, otw guaranteed to raise your hear rate and stress levels !
      7) Don't mope about the house aimlessly during the day. Keep your day structured.
      8) Talk to other people in the same position, don't have to be in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
        I know exactly how you feel, I've been on the bench for nearly 6 months now and was a nightmare to live with for the first few months.

2) Get out of the house as much as possible. So bike rides, runs, helping out at the school if you have kids of primary school age etc
        5) Spend your evenings in much the same way as you used to when you were working i.e. relax
        6) Speak to the crap agencies as little as humanly possible, otw guaranteed to raise your hear rate and stress levels !
        7) Don't mope about the house aimlessly during the day. Keep your day structured.
        And when all that doesn't work, Asda sell 1.5L bottles of cheap Vodka for a tenner.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          And when all that doesn't work, Asda sell 1.5L bottles of cheap Vodka for a tenner.
          I thought millionaires like you shopped exclusively at Harrods?

If you are on the Bench or unemployed the following items in order of priority should apply:

1) look for new job/contract
          2) work on plan B - join open source project if necessary

1000) eat, drink etc

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I thought millionaires like you shopped exclusively at Harrods?
            http://www.fortnumandmason.com/

Comment

6 months!!! Seems like a long time to be benched, have you got 2 heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                6 months!!! Seems like a long time to be benched, have you got 2 heads?
                Nope just the one. But I'm surprised that you're surprised, there are plenty others out as long or longer than me. We are after all now officially in the longest UK recession since records began.

Comment

Nope just the one. But I'm surprised that you're surprised, there are plenty others out as long or longer than me. We are after all now officially in the longest UK recession since records began.
                  I'm not surprised you're surprised he's surprised.

Comment

WHS!

Ruse, keep at it, something will turn up.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I'm not surprised you're surprised he's surprised.
                    Actually I'm surprised that you're not surprised that he's surprised he's surprised.

Comment

Working...
                    X