• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fortnightly bin collections - plan b opportunity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortnightly bin collections - plan b opportunity

Morning All,

the other day, while out for a blissful drive in the passat estate, I got thinking about these fortnightly bin collections in blighty and how this might be a plan b opportunity for somebody.

You see, the folks in charge, want to do less bin collections and are forcing that on an unwilling public who do not like the idea at all.

Surely, there is an opportunity for somebody, to buy a bin lorry, and do bin rounds on the alternate weeks when the council will not collect, and simply pay the tipping fees for tipping the lorry at the local tip, and charge the subscribers to the service for the bin collections - could be done ad hoc cash in hand or by direct debit, and with an internet order form linked to a gps in the truck ?

The idea could be ramped up to include anything that the councils are refusing to take.

What does the learned panel think ?

All the best with your plan b's.

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 27 October 2009, 09:45.

It's quite expensive to get a licence to dispose of waste - I would suspect that it would be VERY expensive if you suddenly decided to compete with the council's preferred supplier.

We do have a man that comes round after the rubbish has gone and washes out our bins. His work has trebled since we went to fortnightly.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

no no

you don't need a license to process waste, you're only gonna collect it and take it to the waste processor and pay them to process it and you charge a fee for each bin

Milan.

Comment

In sunny Dunstable, there have been some reports of black bins being stolen.

The Chavs can, presumably, buy an extra black bin for a few squid down the pub and then have two to put out for the fortnightly collection.

Comment

What a rubbish idea.

Comment

I am sure you could sell all that packaged food that gets thrown out as past sell by date, just stick a new date label on it and flog it half price to some horrible poor people.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The big boys - Biffa et al already offer this.

Comment

I think it's a great idea and a step up for Milan.

What about you cleaning up the dog tulip that some owners can't be bothered to collect?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  Morning All,

the other day, while out for a blissful drive in the passat estate, I got thinking about these fortnightly bin collections in blighty and how this might be a plan b opportunity for somebody.
                  You already have the bin wagon - why not give it a go?
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    Morning All,

You see, the folks in charge, want to do less bin collections and are forcing that on an unwilling public who do not like the idea at all.

Surely, there is an opportunity for somebody, to buy a bin lorry, and do bin rounds on the alternate weeks when the council will not collect, and simply pay the tipping fees for tipping the lorry at the local tip, and charge the subscribers to the service for the bin collections - could be done ad hoc cash in hand or by direct debit, and with an internet order form linked to a gps in the truck ?

The idea could be ramped up to include anything that the councils are refusing to take.

What does the learned panel think ?

All the best with your plan b's.

Milan.
                    Great idea, I have a similar one. You know how the UK has a national health service, where its free for everyone? The downside is the quality is poor and the waiting lists are long.

Why not build some hospitals hire good Drs/Nurses etc and charge for health care! What does the panel think?

Comment

Working...
                    X