• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regional accents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regional accents

On the theme of interview success/failure, I do not think my accent does me any favours being a dummy brummie. No, not quite black country but a definate birmingham accent - but still falls under the stereotype.

Which are the best/ worst accents?

If you were hiring for a role would an accent influence your decision?

Definitely no scousers. They never stop bloody talking!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Don't speak plummy RP oop north, they don't like it. They'd prefer dummie brummie over that any day.

Comment

Aww right am gonna use MVC here like. The worst accent ever, will reduce your IQ 50 points by just speaking in it. (Geordie).

Comment

I can imagine sasguru speaking like this

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Definitely no scousers. They never stop bloody talking!

actually I often get into trouble for being too quiet. They always ask me, is everything ok ? and bug the sh1 te out of me

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I hate that particularly with a passion. It epitomises all that is wrong with society.

Scousers, Geordies, Scotches, Broomies, Wurzles, Welshers, Mockneys, Mancs - need a tuliping Bablefish to understand that lot.

Right, now I've offended everyone and have just recieved another 20 points towards my "hate crime" total, where's the pub...

Only joking, love you all
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                I hate that particularly with a passion. It epitomises all that is wrong with society.

Scousers, Geordies, Scotches, Broomies, Wurzles, Welshers, Mockneys, Mancs - need a tuliping Bablefish to understand that lot.

Right, now I've offended everyone and have just recieved another 20 points towards my "hate crime" total, where's the pub...

Only joking, love you all
                Scotches?
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  We should have had subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    Which are the best/ worst accents?

If you were hiring for a role would an accent influence your decision?
                    I recall reading that a gentle Scottish brogue is well received throughout the UK. Unless spouting from the mouth of the PM.

I like most regional accents as it makes things more interesting but I find Geordies difficult to undertand; I was a best man up there once and I hardly understood a word all day.

Comment

Working...
                    X