• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shop around for everything every year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop around for everything every year?

I think everyone knows to use uSwitch each year or so to keep the gas & leccie bills down.

I think many people also shop around for car insurance every year and often get a surprise at saving a few tenners by switching rather than renewing (I use a particular broker who, when I give them the results of my shopping around, knock off another few quid.)

I have been using ETA for car recovery but I hadn't noticed I've not had any correspondence from them for a few years. It turns out they've not been actioning the change of address letters & phone calls.

Anyway, I just saw they took nearly £200 by direct debit last month

So I went to their web site, saw a "build you own package" and if I were a new customer, it would cost £108.

(I just got off the 'phone having had a rant - I'm getting a £40 refund.)

So I'm switching to someone else next year on principle.

It seems it's necessary to shop around for everything every year.

Does anyone else here remember back in the 70s and 80s when the telly rental company would write to you and say "You've been renting that telly for ten years, you can stop paying the 50p a month and just keep the telly."?

So is this now a standard feature of rip-off Britain: the Loyal Customer Tax?

(And meanwhile the credit card companies slag us off for being "rate tarts".)
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

My RAC membership just took £200.

If I were a new customer I'd get the same deal for £120.

If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Comment

I shop around every year for car insurance

Every year direct line is determined to make that wasted time by sending me a renewal quote lower than anything I've managed to find
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I shop around every year for car insurance

Every year direct line is determined to make that wasted time by sending me a renewal quote lower than anything I've managed to find
        Same here: every "we guarantee to beat your renewal quote" always costs more than DL charges me. If they offer to undercut by a tenner to meet the guarantee, I can't be arsed.

EDIT: but I did save a load on leccie recently, by switching. Eon were most surprised that I could beat their unbeatable offer.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Remember to feed the f**ker though, we're not that loyal!

Comment

yes do it every year - also use Quidco www.quidco.co.uk which then pass on the reffereal fees back to you (minus the first £5 every year for the pleasure of using them). The payback can range frmo a few pence on % based schemes to £50-£80 each for switching insurances and energy suppliers.

Comment

My AA recovery renewal after 1st year was 60% less than when i signed up!

Comment

Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
                yes do it every year - also use Quidco www.quidco.co.uk which then pass on the reffereal fees back to you (minus the first £5 every year for the pleasure of using them). The payback can range frmo a few pence on % based schemes to £50-£80 each for switching insurances and energy suppliers.
                Have been using these for years without problems - so far recieved cahsback of around £900 by car insurance/home insurance/energy supplier switching. However recently had edf and vodafone not track at £50 and £70 respectively. Bit peeved about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  So is this now a standard feature of rip-off Britain: the Loyal Customer Tax?

(And meanwhile the credit card companies slag us off for being "rate tarts".)
                  The banks have been doing it for a long time too. They'll promote a nice high interest deposit account for a while and then quietly demote it to something ordinary over a few years.

For car insurance I have found a local broker to be best. Be nice to the girls who work there when you see them in local shops or the pub, for they are the ones who will do the searching for you when renewal comes up
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    Have been using these for years without problems - so far recieved cahsback of around £900 by car insurance/home insurance/energy supplier switching. However recently had edf and vodafone not track at £50 and £70 respectively. Bit peeved about it.
                    I like quidco - I've had about 500 back over the past 2 years. The last payment was about 83 quid which isn't much, but it's better sitting in my account than theirs
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X