PDA

View Full Version : Prince2 Practioner

valluvan
27th October 2009, 17:07
Sitting for it this friday....Have gone through the manual a couple of times.

Can anyone provide me with online resources such as flash cards etc which might help...any other suggestions/inputs welcome....

Zippy
27th October 2009, 17:19
I'd draw a mind map (make it colourful) but you won't be allowed to take it in with you. Use colour and images to annotate the manual.

Good luck.

Xenophon
27th October 2009, 17:24

Can anyone provide me with online resources such as flash cards etc which might help...any other suggestions/inputs welcome....

I've had my Prince 2 Practitioner for years, but it has been significantly less useful in winning work than my ability to bullshit.

Get googling. There will tons of stuff out there. However, the last time I saw a "flash card" it had the letters C A T on it.

:tongue

Good luck for Friday.

cojak
27th October 2009, 17:31
I've had my Prince 2 Practitioner for years, but it has been significantly less useful in winning work than my ability to bulltulip.

Get googling. There will tons of stuff out there. However, the last time I saw a "flash card" it had the letters C A T on it.

:tongue

Good luck for Friday.

:spel My Prince 2 Practitioner certificate ran out years ago

HTH :tongue :laugh

BoredBloke
27th October 2009, 17:34
I only went as far as the foundation level because I'm not a PM. However what I found was that while it doesn't get you a job, not having a Prince2 qulaification does stop you getting one - esp govt work as the pimps won't consider you

Xenophon
27th October 2009, 17:35
:spel My Prince 2 Practitioner certificate ran out years ago

HTH :tongue :laugh

Damn you!!

DK-Viking
28th October 2009, 10:55

This may be helpful. However be aware that ILX may have introduced slight variation in the terminology, why there might be small naming discrepancies between the OGC and ILX models.

http://www.prince2.com/downloads/prince2-2009-process-model.pdf

thunderlizard
28th October 2009, 12:12
You lucky so&so, I couldn't get a date before last week in November!

I assume you've already got the sample downloads here:
http://www.apmgroup.co.uk/P2BBookingDetails.asp

and this:
http://www.apmg-businessbooks.com/productInfo.aspx?prodid=1067

DK-Viking
28th October 2009, 12:53
You lucky so&so, I couldn't get a date before last week in November!

I assume you've already got the sample downloads here:
http://www.apmgroup.co.uk/P2BBookingDetails.asp

and this:
http://www.apmg-businessbooks.com/productInfo.aspx?prodid=1067

Thanks a lot, just what I was after.
Cheers

valluvan
7th November 2009, 11:37
Got the results last night through email and wooho...Passed the practioner. :banana:

I am throughly chuffed with myself about utilising the october bench period to pass Prince2 Practioner through self study...

Now to tackle the real crunch of breaking into Project management,moving away from Technical Consultancy roles....

Zippy
7th November 2009, 11:51
Congratulations! :banana:

It proves you don't have to spend silly money to succeed.

thunderlizard
7th November 2009, 12:00
Nice one. Got mine in 3 weeks - any top tips?

I've not done the practice papers yet for fear of peaking too early - why can't they computerise it so every backstreet training centre in town can offer it at 48 hours' notice like Microsoft et al?

TykeMerc
7th November 2009, 12:39
Nice one. Got mine in 3 weeks - any top tips?

I've not done the practice papers yet for fear of peaking too early - why can't they computerise it so every backstreet training centre in town can offer it at 48 hours' notice like Microsoft et al?

They could, especially now the Practitioner exam has gone multi guess instead of the old essay format.

I wouldn't worry too much about peaking too early, the more practice you get in the better your odds. I can't offer advice on the new Practitioner exam format as I sat the old one.

Grats on the pass Valluvan, just don't fall into the trap of believing that a Prince2 Practitioner qualification instantly turns you into a PM.

Numpty
7th November 2009, 16:34
Prince2 Practioner

Got the results last night through email and wooho...Passed the practioner. :banana:

I am throughly chuffed with myself about utilising the october bench period to pass Prince2 Practioner through self study...

Now to tackle the real crunch of breaking into Project management,moving away from Technical Consultancy roles....Well done for passing, but, why not learn how to spell the qualification you just passed? And PRINCE2 should be in capitals.

I look forward to seeing how your project manglement career goes. :eyes

valluvan
7th November 2009, 17:31
They could, especially now the Practitioner exam has gone multi guess instead of the old essay format.

I wouldn't worry too much about peaking too early, the more practice you get in the better your odds. I can't offer advice on the new Practitioner exam format as I sat the old one.

Grats on the pass Valluvan, just don't fall into the trap of believing that a Prince2 Practitioner qualification instantly turns you into a PM.

Thanks Tyke.I am under no Illusion that passing PRINCE2 Practitioner automatically makes me a PM.

We all need to start somewhere AND thats exactly I am after right now....An opportunity to crossover into becoming a PM...may become starting as a Junior PM in the permie world could be an option.....

cojak
8th November 2009, 12:00
Thanks Tyke.I am under no Illusion that passing PRINCE2 Practitioner automatically makes me a PM.

We all need to start somewhere AND thats exactly I am after right now....An opportunity to crossover into becoming a PM...may become starting as a Junior PM in the permie world could be an option.....

Well said valluvan.. :smile

AtW
8th November 2009, 12:12
Did Prince 2 stuff made any of you a considerably better Project Manager?

Francko
8th November 2009, 12:36

Did .NET make you a better software developer? :tongue

Evil Hangover
8th November 2009, 12:51

PRINCE2 is a complete waste of time. Sorry. Being a PM has nothing to do with memorising a collection of useless and irrelevant information

It's all about managing people and being able to forecast problems before they arise. It's not about cramming using 'flash cards' FFS, or adhering to step 1.2.4 after step 1.2.3 or whatever b******* it is these days

Yes, I took the exam, passed and wasted my own time and money

What the world needs least right now are more 'Project Managers' with no experience.

Single biggest risk to any project, and frustration to all working on such projects are wannabe PM's and / or someone bull******* about their 'experience'.

:tantrum:

:mad:

AtW
8th November 2009, 12:56
Did .NET make you a better software developer? :tongue

No idea, but it certainly saved me a lot of development (debugging) time compared to C/C++: I use it because it gives me real business benefits, not because I want to have it on my CV. If I had to use C/C++ I would not have any time to post on here...

Alf W
8th November 2009, 13:07
I've always liked the irony that you can be accredited as a 'Practitioner' by passing a theory exam.

Like most accreditations these things are only of any use to keep certain training companies in business. Up there with MBAs and BCS membership in my view. Pointless.

TykeMerc
8th November 2009, 13:17
I've always liked the irony that you can be accredited as a 'Practitioner' by passing a theory exam.

True, it's fairly absurd.

Like most accreditations these things are only of any use to keep certain training companies in business. Up there with MBAs and BCS membership in my view. Pointless.

Not quite pointless, but at least 95% about a tick in the box for CV purposes.
There were a couple of things I learned while studying for the exam which I hadn't thought through as a practical PM. It did teach me to pay closer attention to the Business Case and formally think about product based planning, that's about it.

malvolio
8th November 2009, 13:21
Agreed, you can always learn something. It does grate, though, that I've delivered various multi-million pound programmes and still get asked if I'm qualified... I learned the original PRINCE back in the 80s as part of a career development programme, so never actually got an accreditation. Really can't be bothered to try and get one now, especially since you can pass it without ever having delivered anything.

As for building the income of the training companies - nobody will ever persuade me you need three layers of exam passes costing around £6k to get an ITIL Managers certificate under v3...

TykeMerc
8th November 2009, 13:29
As for building the income of the training companies - nobody will ever persuade me you need three layers of exam passes costing around £6k to get an ITIL Managers certificate under v3...

Indeed, I've considered doing ITIL certs, but I'm damned if I'm going to shell out that much. I've done enough Service Delivery over the years it wouldn't hurt to have the cert and to pick up the bits that I'm bound to have missed.

Francko
8th November 2009, 16:01
Single biggest risk to any project, and frustration to all working on such projects are wannabe PM's and / or someone bull******* about their 'experience'.

Unfortunately the most of them were technical people who would be out of the job now because of higher competition. I blame the .com bubble.

Naaarwich
9th November 2009, 12:38
When I sat my Foundation exam most of the candidates finished early and all passed. When we sat the Practitioner exam not one of us even had time to open the 'Managing Successful Projects' manual let alone leave early.

I did notice that the two candidates with the highest Foundation scores were the ones who had no experience in project management and had virtually no people skills - I'm sure they're running projects in the civil service right now - budget and time-scales blown and the only thing they're likely to deliver are well written Exception Reports.

original PM
9th November 2009, 12:42
PRINCE2

The art of writing reports about why all of your projects fail.

cojak
9th November 2009, 12:43
Agreed, you can always learn something. It does grate, though, that I've delivered various multi-million pound programmes and still get asked if I'm qualified... I learned the original PRINCE back in the 80s as part of a career development programme, so never actually got an accreditation. Really can't be bothered to try and get one now, especially since you can pass it without ever having delivered anything.

That's why I did the last of the v2 Manager's Certificate -around the same time that you were saying to me that "I don't need the paper -I've got the experience".

It's called 'playing the game' Mal.

Don't be so proud next time I suggest something... :smile

George Parr
9th November 2009, 13:09
That's why I did the last of the v2 Manager's Certificate -around the same time that you were saying to me that "I don't need the paper -I've got the experience".

It's called 'playing the game' Mal.

Don't be so proud next time I suggest something... :smile

WSS

You need both. Exams are much harder to lie about than experience. Given the massively oversupplied market, clients will choose qualifications and experience, they'd be fools not to.

Yes, it does line the pockets of training providers but life isn't always fair.

Svalbaard
9th November 2009, 13:43
PRINCE2

The art of writing reports about why all of your projects fail.

What an utter pile of crap.

thunderlizard
9th November 2009, 14:03
When we sat the Practitioner exam not one of us even had time to open the 'Managing Successful Projects' manual let alone leave early.

Was that under the essay style format or the 2009 multiple-ticking regime?

original PM
9th November 2009, 14:12
What an utter pile of crap.

Take it you disagree then?

Naaarwich
9th November 2009, 15:04
Was that under the essay style format or the 2009 multiple-ticking regime?

I did mine in early 2008 and it was the multiple choice. Early this year they have updated Prince2.

Its a shame PMI isn't widely used in this country as I think their model is better - you have to have at least 5000 hours of verified PM experience before you can even sit the exam and also the exam tests you on your PM skills and not just on processes as Prince2 does.

RichardCranium
9th November 2009, 23:06
PRINCE2 is a complete waste of time. Sorry. Being a PM has nothing to do with memorising a collection of useless and irrelevant informationPRINCE2 is a useful collection of tools for a newbie PM. However, it takes a few years' experience to know how to apply it.

I like the Business Case philosophy, the Project Board structure, the Risk & Issue Management and I am a complete convert to Product Based Planning.

But knowing how much to apply, and when, takes experience.

And, as you suggest, that is not project management. People have problems, not projects. PRINCE2 covers the mechanics of project management but does not address people issues at all.

Single biggest risk to any project, and frustration to all working on such projects are wannabe PM's and / or someone bull******* about their 'experience'.Absolutely. Almost every "Top Ten Reasons Why Projects Fail" list misses out Reason 0: an incompetent project manager.

veerarish
17th November 2009, 13:46

Now to tackle the real crunch of breaking into Project management,moving away from Technical Consultancy roles....

Hi valluvan,

Congrats!!!

I have booked the practitioner exam next month.Any tips for passing this exam.
I am going through the manual.Other than that I am not finding much resources on net.

jgohilfb
19th November 2009, 16:53
Congratulations!!!

Did you sit for the Prince2 2009 Foundation Practitioner course or Prince2 2005? Apparently the pass rate of Prince2 2009 is not as high as the 2005 one.

PM-Junkie
19th November 2009, 17:29
PRINCE2 is a useful collection of tools for a newbie PM. However, it takes a few years' experience to know how to apply it.

I like the Business Case philosophy, the Project Board structure, the Risk & Issue Management and I am a complete convert to Product Based Planning.

But knowing how much to apply, and when, takes experience.

And, as you suggest, that is not project management. People have problems, not projects. PRINCE2 covers the mechanics of project management but does not address people issues at all.

Absolutely. Almost every "Top Ten Reasons Why Projects Fail" list misses out Reason 0: an incompetent project manager.
Actually, in my days as a PM I found the biggest risk to a project's success was incompetence or naivety in the levels above the PM. If the PM is worth their fee, there are ways around it...but if the PM is a gimp as well then the whole thing is doomed.

In my experience incompetent PMs (and sadly there are a lot of those) merely expose silly decisions/standards/practice above them. A PM who understands the technology that's being used/deployed...knows how to manage upwards as well as downwards...and has the gravitas to stand up to idiots and keep stakeholders from pestering the troops, is worth his/her weight in gold (and as an aside, the best PM I've ever come across was of the female persuasion).

And to the person who said the PMI standard is better than PRINCE2 - the two are different (one can be called a standard, one is a framework) and can actually go together, but I agree. Although not many PMPs are audited....so I suspect there are lots of incompetent PMP people out there too. What I do like about the PMP though is that it only lasts 3 years and you have to extend your knowledge to keep it...not just sit another silly test like you do with PRINCE2. For that reason alone I always prefer 3 year+ PMPs over newly hatched PMPs and PRINCEs

At the end of the day though, running a project is common sense....it certainly isn't rocket science. It always beats me why so many people are so carp at it!