• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much can I spend on a laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much can I spend on a laptop

On expenses and obviously i need to invoice it to my company?

Any recommendations would be nice

If you spend over £2k and you are on the flat rate scheme then you can claim the VAT back. Hence, I usually spend about £2k

Comment

Buy a laptop you like.

I mean buy a laptop suitable for your business needs.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Spend as much/little as you want/need.

But do bear in mind even if it is tax deductable it still costs you money, deliberately buying the most expensive one you can find won't make you better off(!)

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
          If you spend over £2k and you are on the flat rate scheme then you can claim the VAT back. Hence, I usually spend about £2k
          You must have pretty nice laptops
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

On expenses and obviously i need to invoice it to my company?
            Dumb question of the day... Why buy on expenses and invoice it? Why not just buy it on company card and file the receipt? Is this to give the impression you own it not the company?

I have a feeling this is a daft question but had to ask.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

how much of the below invoice for a laptop i purchased in my company name do I claim back just the actual cost of laptop and the vat right?

Notebook NP-Q320-FS01UK Samsung Q320- white - Pentium Dual Core

Delivery cost13.02
              Net Amount 430.39
              VAT Amount 64.56
              Total 494.95

Comment

If you were a permie and your employer bought a laptop for you to use at work, would the business pay for the delivery or would the boss pay for it out of their own pocket?

Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
                  how much of the below invoice for a laptop i purchased in my company name do I claim back just the actual cost of laptop and the vat right?

Notebook NP-Q320-FS01UK Samsung Q320- white - Pentium Dual Core

Delivery cost13.02
                  Net Amount 430.39
                  VAT Amount 64.56
                  Total 494.95
                  What you do with the VAT depends on whether you are registered, and/or on the flat rate scheme.

Assuming you are either not registered or are and are on the flat rate scheme, the VAT, along with the cost of the laptop and delivery are an expense for you. ie you can claim the entire £494.95.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Dumb question of the day... Why buy on expenses and invoice it? Why not just buy it on company card and file the receipt? Is this to give the impression you own it not the company?

I have a feeling this is a daft question but had to ask.
                    i think people can overcomplicate it..yes just buy it on the card and keep the receipt and claim the VAT back..simples...

Comment

Working...
                    X