• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opening hours/Binge Drinking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening hours/Binge Drinking

With all this hysteria surrounding the extension of opening hours (basically for the benegfit of middle class lefties wanting a glass of Chablis after a visit to the theatre) There are two questions that no one seems to have asked.

Will this mean that there will be an increase in the number of binge drinkers?
    I somehow dont think so and:

Will Binge drinkers be encouraged to drink even more? well maybe. I would have thought that by the time a binge drinker has had his fill by 11.00 he will have had enough. If he continues for an extra hour say then surely this will not be a bad thing as presumably he/she will be unconscious and therefore unable to cause any trouble.

Maybe the problem that we have in our town centres is that the binge drinkers are not drunk enough.

Bring on the longer hours I say.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Factoid I:
    More guns = more people get shot

Factoid II:
    More alcohol = more drunks

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
      Factoid I:

Factoid II:
      And just where are these more drunks going to get the more money from then?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        And just where are these more drunks going to get the more money from then?
        Well not from us tax avoiders
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

BTW. Factoid 2 is wrong anyway. There is not more alcohol, just more time to drink it. You may have noticed that there were not millions of drunks queing up at the offie when the pubs were shut.

I think we will see a surge in booze related incidents untill the populace gets used to the new hours and adjusts its drinking habits.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
            Factoid I:

Factoid II:
            Is this true? If there were zero guns then zero people would get shot, but would the overall deaths/injuries actually decrease? Surely the volume of other methods to harm people would just increase.

Alcohol is readily available now - albeit not from bars.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              BTW. Factoid 2 is wrong anyway. There is not more alcohol, just more time to drink it. You may have noticed that there were not millions of drunks queing up at the offie when the pubs were shut.

I think we will see a surge in booze related incidents untill the populace gets used to the new hours and adjusts its drinking habits.
              I agree with The Sharp Shooter.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

We've been here before anyway. The Daily Mail and assorted hand wringers were telling us all that the world was going to come to an end and that Britain's economy was going to be washed away in a tide of alcohol and vomit when pubs were allowed to open during the afternoon. According to data published by the Economist last week, alcohol consumption per head fell after the last liberalisation of licensing hours.

It's all largely irrelevant anyway as the decision not to grant extended licenses has been taken by many local authorities. My borough would not even approve pubs to open until midnight on Fridays so we are effectively stuck with the old system anyway.

Anyone know a good alcohol disorder zone where I can go for a binge drink tomorrow evening?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
                  We've been here before anyway. The Daily Mail and assorted hand wringers were telling us all that the world was going to come to an end and that Britain's economy was going to be washed away in a tide of alcohol and vomit when pubs were allowed to open during the afternoon. According to data published by the Economist last week, alcohol consumption per head fell after the last liberalisation of licensing hours.

It's all largely irrelevant anyway as the decision not to grant extended licenses has been taken by many local authorities. My borough would not even approve pubs to open until midnight on Fridays so we are effectively stuck with the old system anyway.

Anyone know a good alcohol disorder zone where I can go for a binge drink tomorrow evening?
                  A similar point was raised by Jeremy Clarkson when there was an outcry about the increasing traffic on the roads. I think someone worked out that if the number of car sales continued inexorably that by say there would be something like 27 million vehicles on the roads. Clarkson pointed out that in this case every road user would have to be driving two cars at once!
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    A similar point was raised by Jeremy Clarkson when there was an outcry about the increasing traffic on the roads. I think someone worked out that if the number of car sales continued inexorably that by say there would be something like 27 million vehicles on the roads. Clarkson pointed out that in this case every road user would have to be driving two cars at once!
                    Quite right DA. The government definition of a "binge" is ludicrous anyway: for a man more than 3-4 units in one sitting. So if I have two pints after work that's a binge? I don't think so.

I recall being a carefree young lad in Manchester 15 years ago and there was just as much riotous behaviour then as now. The difference is that now there are CCTV cameras everywhere and it is more visible.

Comment

Working...
                    X