• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

James May and Airfix kits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James May and Airfix kits

We watched a telly program last night - all of us and it was very entertaining - shock horror!

James May was attempting to make a life size airfix kit of a spitfire,and he got a bunch of people to then help him put it together. I really enjoyed it - problem is that Pogle Jr now wants an airfix kit - can anyone out there advise on an easy one to start off with?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    We watched a telly program last night - all of us and it was very entertaining - shock horror!

James May was attempting to make a life size airfix kit of a spitfire,and he got a bunch of people to then help him put it together. I really enjoyed it - problem is that Pogle Jr now wants an airfix kit - can anyone out there advise on an easy one to start off with?
    the HO OO tiger was an easy one
    pretty square structure
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

Actually a difficult, and interesting question.

Do you mean 'Airfix' as the brand, or a kit by any manufacturer? Does it want to be a working model, or something static that looks a lot like the real thing? Air, land or water? Military or civilian? How old is (s)he? What are your views on large spaces being taken up for days on end, glue, and paint smears?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Grief, I made loads when I was a nipper. Single engined (athough mine always had propellers, not jets), small scale planes probably easiest. A Japanese Zero was also easy to paint (usually all white scheme). Just watch out for getting glue on the transparent cockpit 'perspex'. Always my Achilles heel.

I think Hornby own Airfix now.

Feeling nostalgic, I bought a boxed Airfix Stuka last year I found in a charity shop last year; it was produced in 1973!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Somewhere I think I still have an Airfix model of the Angel plane from Captain Scarlet.

No idea where though & it may have gone by now
          I had one of them as a kid!

Angle interceptor.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/other...nterceptor.jpg

I think the F16 copied the design.

Comment

Good programme wasn't it? I really thought it'd break when they were moving it out of the hanger at the end.

They weren't "people" but school kids making it. Gives you faith that the young people of today aren't all out knifing each other and beating up gay policeman, though two of them did leave early so they could go and see "Beyonse".
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The Airfix Dildo is the easiest to put together but you must wait for the glue to dry before using.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                The Airfix Dildo is the easiest to put together but you must wait for the glue to dry before using.
                Gosh how very witty of you - suggesting a dildo for my 9 year old daughter, you must be very proud.
                Not remotely inappropriate or offensive eh?
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I suspect he might have been suggesting it for you - as in the show last night when they sent the kits home and the dads got stuck in rather than the kids.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I dont ever recall seeing a girly airfix kit, it was pretty much a boy thing.
                    I am amazed at how many hobby shops there are across the country, selling railway stuff and model kits.

And plastic soldiers. German paratroops was the last set I remember being released.
                    Can any raise my german paratroops ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X