• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

worth starting a ltd co.?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worth starting a ltd co.?

I've taken a short poorly paid gig for month to get off the bench. It may go on longer and may not. Is it worth starting up a ltd co with monthly accountancy fees? If I dont get anything else after the months out I will be throwing money at a ltd co which isn't trading. The pimp suggested I go through their 'approved' umbrella but if I do that and then start a ltd co further down the line could that be a flag for HMRC?

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    I've taken a short poorly paid gig for month to get off the bench. It may go on longer and may not. Is it worth starting up a ltd co with monthly accountancy fees? If I dont get anything else after the months out I will be throwing money at a ltd co which isn't trading. The pimp suggested I go through their 'approved' umbrella but if I do that and then start a ltd co further down the line could that be a flag for HMRC?
    Umbrella's a perfect for this sort of short term gig. No reason at all why Hector would show any interest in you setting up your own ltd later.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why oh why do people not think about what they are about to ask and if it might have actually been asked a million times. If so then maybe... just maybe... a search would pull up all the answers.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why oh why do people not think about what they are about to ask and if it might have actually been asked a million times?
        I'm sure this question has been asked before.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Umbrella's a perfect for this sort of short term gig. No reason at all why Hector would show any interest in you setting up your own ltd later.
          Agreed. Probably not worth the hassle of going Limited if it's only for 1 month, and by your own admission the pay is fairly low.

I imagine you'd have a hard time finding an accountancy provider that would happily setup the Co for you, take 1 month's fee payments, then have you disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
            The HMR&C would have no interest whatsoever if you moved from an umbrella company to a limited company - they are only concerned with whether or not you are paying the correct amount of tax. I am not sure if the panel would agree but I would not recommend a limited company for a first contract of less than 6 months as there are costs and hassle attached to closing a limited company that you would not have with a brolly.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

thanks guys. i did a quick search but it is a specific querstion regarding length of contract and when it is worth opening up your ltd co. most other posts about brollies focus on which one to go for. lloks like i'll go for the brolly on this one.

Comment

The other option is to go self employed then you just declare it in your tax return. Or not if you want to risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by saigon triumph View Post
                  The other option is to go self employed then you just declare it in your tax return. Or not if you want to risk it.
                  Assuming the agency will pay into your personal account.

Why not just ask for cash.

Comment

Originally posted by saigon triumph View Post
                    The agency will almost certainly refuse to deal with you as self employed.

Comment

Working...
                    X