• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates

I'm not normally one to complain or even make it my business to know what other contractors earn but...

I've been on the worst rate I've ever had and on top of that I had a 'take it or shove off' 10% cut a couple of months back. Now the client has brought in 2 new guys on 30% more than the 4 existing contractors and to make it worse we have to babysit them for the first few weeks.

How the feck can they justify this? I know they don't have to but FFS have they no shame?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

30% more than the 4 existing contractors
    How do you know this? If your asking the questions to find out do you not just have yourself to blame. Once you start finding about rates for other guys a perfectly good gig can turn in to a bottomless hell hole you can no longer stand just cause the guy next to you earns more. Even if you saw the job advertised it is highly likely they didn't get offered the rate advertised anyway.

Whenever anyone talks rates or docs come through or even if you have seen the job advert just avert your eyes. It's just a hiding to nowhere thinking about it.

Feel for you on the frustration front though. Can be horrible knowing all this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On the other hand if you find out you're on more than them then it makes you dance a jig

Comment

The guy next to you might be bulltulipting you.

Unless the agent or client has confirmed the rate of the bloke next to you, take it with a pinch of salt.

I always used to tell the other contractors a much lower rate if they asked me. Made them feel good and less likely to try and stitch me up.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I'm not normally one to complain or even make it my business to know what other contractors earn but...

I've been on the worst rate I've ever had and on top of that I had a 'take it or shove off' 10% cut a couple of months back. Now the client has brought in 2 new guys on 30% more than the 4 existing contractors and to make it worse we have to babysit them for the first few weeks.

How the flip can they justify this? I know they don't have to but FFS have they no shame?
          Hang on why are you upset? I would be upset if they were on less than me, because I would then know I'm above market rates, and I might be chopped further. You didn't have to agree. The company is perfectly entitled to negotiate with suppliers to cut, indeed they have a duty to do so. It is unethical to cut permies salaries but ethical and desirable to chop the contractors down as far as they can. I applaud and invest in companies that do this as they are looking out for my investment. Maybe you could name the company, as I'm always on the look out for a well run company to invest in.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 October 2009, 11:27.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The guy next to you might be bulltulipting you.

Unless the agent or client has confirmed the rate of the bloke next to you, take it with a pinch of salt.

I always used to tell the other contractors a much lower rate if they asked me. Made them feel good and less likely to try and stitch me up.
            Good idea...

Comment

I suggest you refresh your memory of the Parable of the Labourers in the Vineyard, Matthew 20:1-16

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Hang on why are you upset? I would be upset if they were on less than me, because I would then know I'm above market rates, and I might be chopped further. You didn't have to agree. The company is perfectly entitled to negotiate with suppliers to cut, indeed they have a duty to do so. It is unethical to cut permies salaries but ethical and desirable to chop the contractors down as far as they can. I applaud and invest in companies that do this as they are looking out for my investment. Maybe you could name the company, as I'm always on the look out for a well run company to invest in.
                Take your investors cap off and stick the contractor one on, this isn't ruthlessinvestorUK FFS.

I've got a modest house, a modest car, a wife and a kid to feed. My rate is comparable to a permy without any of the perks and I'm slipping further into debt, **** the market.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

You think that you have problems. I have not worked since December 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                    You think that you have problems. I have not worked since December 2008.
                    I feel for you, I'm one of those people who I took a numpty £100 a day role to keep the money coming in until something better turns up... 6 months later.

Throughout my working life every job I've had seems to have a skewed work to reward ratio, I've never had to work so hard for so little.

Comment

Working...
                    X