• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sold House...now they want to sue me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sold House...now they want to sue me

Sold my house 4 weeks ago and have now received a letter from Solicitors from buyers claiming for a number of things

1) They say the electrics in our garage conversion are faulty. They've had someone check them and they say the certificate we were given by the electrician is flawed. The electrician used was appointed by the builder - in fact we never saw the electrician as the work was done whilst we were on hols. Also the builder is nowhere to be seen now.
    In the questionaire for the house sale we stated that the electrics hadn't been tested. They're claiming £550 + vat
    2) When buying they asked via their solicitor - Do the sinks, baths and showers drain efficiently. We said yes. They now say that there is a problem with the waste of toilet coming up through the bath due to the way the plumbing is installed. Now we never touched it in the 8 years we were there and never had any problems. They say they're going to get the work done and have photos to prove plumbing is wrong. They're claiming £650 + vat
    3) They claim we promised to leave a kids wardrobe in one of the rooms. In the room in question we ticked the box to highlight we're leaving fitted units ( defined as for example: fitted cupboards, fitted shelves and fitted wardrobes). We did leave the fitted shelves. We took our freestanding 4 year old kids wardrobe - which incidentally retails at £75 in Argos. They're claiming £700

Now I've responded already saying we accept no responsibility and they've come back saying they're going to pursue us in the courts. My question is do they have a leg to stand on?
    I'm no lawyer and my conveyancing lawyer isn't much help....but isn't it a case of buyer beware when you buy a house - thats why you have a survey.

Any advice, much appreciated.

Isn't it a bit worrying that your conveyancing solicitor is unable to answer your queries on this?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Envelope View Post
      They've had someone check them and they say the certificate we were given by the electrician is flawed. The electrician used was appointed by the builder - in
      Do you have to have a certificate for your electrics when you sell up these days?

Comment

3) They claim we promised to leave a kids wardrobe in one of the rooms. In the room in question we ticked the box to highlight we're leaving fitted units ( defined as for example: fitted cupboards, fitted shelves and fitted wardrobes). We did leave the fitted shelves. We took our freestanding 4 year old kids wardrobe - which incidentally retails at £75 in Argos. They're claiming £700
        If equivalent costs just £75 then you should be able to defend it successfully in a small claims court.

Don't know about other accusations.

Comment

Was the buyer a lawyer? They are all khunts of the lowest order.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2004...rty.homebuying

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-law-firm.html
          Last edited by DimPrawn; 28 October 2009, 14:04.

Comment

The solicitor says I should be ok on the plumbing and the wardrobe, but says the electrics could be dodgy. Apparently since 2005 everything you do in your house has to be done by a certified electrician otherwise you're breaking the law. Now i wasn't aware of this...until now. thing is I took the cert I was given in good faith - I wasn't aware I was potentially breaking the law due to my builder appointing a dodgy electrician.

....and yes the buyer is a knut....of the highest order.

Funny thing is 2 weeks after completion I went back to pick up post and he was nice as pie. Said he wanted to buy my curtains and I delivered them back to him. No mention of any issues and then this!!!

Comment

To me, they're trying it on.

1. If the electrics certificate has a problem with it, the issue should be taken up with the issuer of the certificate

2. Problems with the plumbing are going to the biggest issue. you say they've been fine, but they're saying there's a problem. I really don't see how this can be pushed back to you

3. A free-standing wardrobe is not fixtures and fittings.

Let them take you to court and wait for the claimants to be laughed out the door.

As always, IANAL.
              Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Was the buyer a lawyer? They are all khunts of the lowest order.
                Sounds like a right tosser anyhow. First time buyer?

I reckon they are chancing their arm...based on the limitted info....and would let the court decide. they don't stand a chance on 3) imo.

Don't most toilet wastes enter the soil pipe seperate to the bath connection to the soil pipe. Meaning it would be extremely difficult to push waste back up through the bath. Do they ever tee toilets in? If they do it would take a negative drop to force back hrough the bath trap.

Comment

Best consult a lawyer and get them to draw up a response.

Comment

Apparently since 2005 everything you do in your house has to be done by a certified electrician otherwise you're breaking the law. !!!
                    I'm pretty sure thats bollux. Everything in an area in a certain proximity of the kitchen bathroom sinks need to be certified - IANAS - I am not a sparky.

Comment

Working...
                    X