• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandelson vows to cut off serial Web pirates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandelson vows to cut off serial Web pirates

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004623.html

From the front page

Any idea how they will differentiate between those who regularly rip stuff off from the net and those like me who use Iplayer to batter my download limit and my slingbox to batter my upload limit?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Simple things like reality never get in the way of Mandy and his likes. They're not interested in the real world, just sound bites. The bloke is a jerk. Regretably, he's a very powerful jerk, but a jerk none the less.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ha - I'd like to see them try, they'll never stop me. At the moment I'm currently downlo
      A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Any idea how they will differentiate between those who regularly rip stuff off from the net and those like me who use Iplayer to batter my download limit and my slingbox to batter my upload limit?
        You can work out what the traffic is from the ports you're using and some other gubbins I don't know much about.

I would be interested to know how they identify people who are torrenting copyrighted material and those who are torrenting something legit.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
          Ha - I'd like to see them try, they'll never stop me. At the moment I'm currently downlo

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
            Very good!

Mandelson + Pirates = A Jolly Roger

Comment

This has not just been about serial downloaders etc It has always been the long term goal of this most authoritative government of either taxing, licencing and thereby controlling what is being allowed on the internet.

This brings me to the role of political bloggers. Perhaps because of the nature of the technology, there is a tendency for political blogs to have a Samizdat style. The most popular blogs are rightwing, ranging from the considered Tory views of Iain Dale, to the vicious nihilism of Guido Fawkes. Perhaps this is simply anti-establishment. Blogs have only existed under a Labour government. Perhaps if there was a Tory government, all the leading blogs would be left-of-centre?

Hazel Blears
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Encryption will render it useless

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  It has always been the long term goal of this most authoritative government of either taxing, licencing and thereby controlling what is being allowed on the internet.
                  authoritarian

Hazel Blears. I was in the audience once at "Any Questions?" on R4. I don't think even she took herself seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    You can work out what the traffic is from the ports you're using and some other gubbins I don't know much about.
                    That sounds like Deep Packet Inspection.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I would be interested to know how they identify people who are torrenting copyrighted material and those who are torrenting something legit.
                    I recently downloaded some software from a chap who also hosts an internet radio service, and found my speed severely throttled. I did wonder if my ISP had applied throttling because they (falsely) assumed I was downloading music.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X