PDA

View Full Version : Mandelson vows to cut off serial Web pirates

BoredBloke
29th October 2009, 08:18
http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004623.html

From the front page

Any idea how they will differentiate between those who regularly rip stuff off from the net and those like me who use Iplayer to batter my download limit and my slingbox to batter my upload limit?

Fred Bloggs
29th October 2009, 08:20
Simple things like reality never get in the way of Mandy and his likes. They're not interested in the real world, just sound bites. The bloke is a jerk. Regretably, he's a very powerful jerk, but a jerk none the less.

SlimRick
29th October 2009, 08:48
Ha - I'd like to see them try, they'll never stop me. At the moment I'm currently downlo

Moscow Mule
29th October 2009, 08:50
Any idea how they will differentiate between those who regularly rip stuff off from the net and those like me who use Iplayer to batter my download limit and my slingbox to batter my upload limit?

You can work out what the traffic is from the ports you're using and some other gubbins I don't know much about.

I would be interested to know how they identify people who are torrenting copyrighted material and those who are torrenting something legit.

realityhack
29th October 2009, 09:33
Ha - I'd like to see them try, they'll never stop me. At the moment I'm currently downlo

:laugh

TinTrump
29th October 2009, 09:55

:laugh Very good!

Mandelson + Pirates = A Jolly Roger

hyperD
29th October 2009, 10:08
This has not just been about serial downloaders etc It has always been the long term goal of this most authoritative government of either taxing, licencing and thereby controlling what is being allowed on the internet.

This brings me to the role of political bloggers. Perhaps because of the nature of the technology, there is a tendency for political blogs to have a Samizdat style. The most popular blogs are rightwing, ranging from the considered Tory views of Iain Dale, to the vicious nihilism of Guido Fawkes. Perhaps this is simply anti-establishment. Blogs have only existed under a Labour government. Perhaps if there was a Tory government, all the leading blogs would be left-of-centre?

Hazel Blears (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/05/blogging-politics)

Diestl
29th October 2009, 10:17
Encryption will render it useless

TinTrump
29th October 2009, 10:22
It has always been the long term goal of this most authoritative government of either taxing, licencing and thereby controlling what is being allowed on the internet.

:spel authoritarian

Hazel Blears. I was in the audience once at "Any Questions?" on R4. I don't think even she took herself seriously.

Sysman
29th October 2009, 11:32
You can work out what the traffic is from the ports you're using and some other gubbins I don't know much about.

That sounds like Deep Packet Inspection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection).

I would be interested to know how they identify people who are torrenting copyrighted material and those who are torrenting something legit.

I recently downloaded some software from a chap who also hosts an internet radio service, and found my speed severely throttled. I did wonder if my ISP had applied throttling because they (falsely) assumed I was downloading music.

AtW
29th October 2009, 11:36
Encryption will render it useless

5 years in prison if you don't hand over the decryption keys...

Moscow Mule
29th October 2009, 11:39

Indeed, but if everybody is sending encrypted traffic there will be too much noise for them to sort through...

HairyArsedBloke
29th October 2009, 11:40
If he is after serial web pirates then have more than one download going at a time and you're safe - simples.

sunnysan
29th October 2009, 12:30
http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004623.html

From the front page

Wow thanks Mandy, its obviously one of my top concerns and therefore I am going to change my vote to labour as a result of you and your parties continued efforts to provide clear, fair and proportionate responses to top priority issues.

threaded
29th October 2009, 12:32

With encrypted torrent systems you never know the keys and they change quite frequently.

minestrone
29th October 2009, 14:04
Encryption is not really an issue. All they have to do is plug in a torrent program, download a popular item then check where the packets are coming from. Not exactly tough.

threaded
29th October 2009, 14:12
Encryption is not really an issue. All they have to do is plug in a torrent program, download a popular item then check where the packets are coming from. Not exactly tough.

TOR/Azureus, off the shelf.

If you can do it, I might have a job for you (serious).

AtW
29th October 2009, 14:15
With encrypted torrent systems you never know the keys and they change quite frequently.

Not something you'd want to be explaining to Bubba in the showers...

threaded
29th October 2009, 14:17
Not something you'd want to be explaining to Bubba in the showers...

Well, that's the joy of voting in a government who wants to make criminals of everyone who's not a member of the party.

PM-Junkie
29th October 2009, 14:20
So someone who has had to resign from office twice for being a liar, and who was then resoundingly booted out by the electorate, is now dictating government policy?

These labour people really don't want to win the election next year, do they?

Or maybe they are just trying to get us used to life in the EU under that other well know liar, president tony?

Diestl
29th October 2009, 14:22

Yeah I can see them enforcing that. :rollin:

Half the population of the UK in jail for 5 years.

AtW
29th October 2009, 14:22
So someone who has had to resign from office twice for being a liar, and who was then resoundingly booted out by the electorate, is now dictating government policy?

To be fair to Lord Mandelson he's learnt his lesson - now in his new job he is a Lord electorate or anything else can't fire him.

:mad

threaded
29th October 2009, 14:23
That's the point, I think he's probably getting himself set up for some cushy number when they're all made redundant. Being unelected means he doesn't care about what you voters want anyway.

AtW
Yeah I can see them enforcing that. :rollin:

Apparently they quietly done around 60 people under that law. :eyes

KentPhilip
Well, that's the joy of voting in a government who wants to make criminals of everyone who's not a member of the party.

Hmm how much is it to join the Labour party?
Maybe a wise investment if it means you don't get investigated for IR35 etc...

threaded
29th October 2009, 14:26
Hmm how much is it to join the Labour party?
Maybe a wise investment if it means you don't get investigated for IR35 etc...

Well, that's, a brown envelope or two, is what they should have done instead of going for a judicial review.

Diestl
29th October 2009, 14:26
Apparently they quietly done around 60 people under that law. :eyes

60 people!!!! More have won the lottery you twonk.

threaded
29th October 2009, 14:29
60 people!!!! More have won the lottery you twonk.

The point is, if you use a computer, they can have you in jail if they want.

Diestl
29th October 2009, 14:33
The point is, if you use a computer, they can have you in jail if they want.

I think we are safe. I predict no one will ever be jailed for downloading the odd movie/game/book/album.

AtW
29th October 2009, 14:41
I think we are safe. I predict no one will ever be jailed for downloading the odd movie/game/book/album.

:rollin:

The point is that the milkman who maybe boinking your wife whilst you are busy contracting can drop in encrypted with random password file named "ChldPron.dat", then drop a tip to police and they might be tempted to do you with that law that easily allows them to.

Or they can threaten you with it and make you do other stuff.

Diestl
29th October 2009, 14:45
:rollin:

The point is that the milkman who maybe boinking your wife whilst you are busy contracting can drop in encrypted with random password file named "ChldPron.dat", then drop a tip to police and they might be tempted to do you with that law that easily allows them to.

Or they can threaten you with it and make you do other stuff.

So they would go to all this trouble because I downloaded a few episodes of West Wing!?

AtW
29th October 2009, 15:03
So they would go to all this trouble because I downloaded a few episodes of West Wing!?

I don't know if they would, but they certainly can lock you up easily under that very wrong encryption law.

Diestl
29th October 2009, 15:12
I don't know if they would, but they certainly can lock you up easily under that very wrong encryption law.

Yeah but as Threaded says the key changes regularly and you never get to know it.
Sorted!

Sysman
29th October 2009, 15:38
This has not just been about serial downloaders etc It has always been the long term goal of this most authoritative government of either taxing, licencing and thereby controlling what is being allowed on the internet.

Um, the Beeb wants DRM (http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/broadcast-flag-uk), and it definitely has its sights on a fee for applying the licence fee to internet only access - iPlayer Doesn't Require A TV Licence... Yet (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/01/iplayer_does_not_require_a_tv_1.html).

BBC Trust moots new licence laws to cope with net (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/01/bbc_trust_licensing/)
iPlayer chief pushes tiered charging for ISPs (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/23/iplayer_rose_isps/)

threaded
30th October 2009, 05:39
Yeah but as Threaded says the key changes regularly and you never get to know it.
Sorted!

Erm, the problem happens when the Plod demand your key. IIRC saying you never knew it is not a valid defence.

I understand many people have pleaded guilty even when they haven't, because the prosecution says they have, and it's cheaper than fighting the case.

And in some other style cases they've pleaded guilty when the prosecution hasn't even got any evidence! Their name just happens to be on a proven dodgy list from America. This to save the threatened embarrassment of fighting it in court.

Diestl
30th October 2009, 10:08
Erm, the problem happens when the Plod demand your key. IIRC saying you never knew it is not a valid defence.

I understand many people have pleaded guilty even when they haven't, because the prosecution says they have, and it's cheaper than fighting the case.

And in some other style cases they've pleaded guilty when the prosecution hasn't even got any evidence! Their name just happens to be on a proven dodgy list from America. This to save the threatened embarrassment of fighting it in court.

Do people not know how widespread this is? Its not like IR35, its like trying to stop people drinking alcohol.

Paddy
30th October 2009, 10:18

Permie chap nearby downloads a lot music (no movies). He got a letter accusing him of persistently download Disney movies and tells him to stop. Are they guessing what he downloads or is the detection software crap?

threaded
30th October 2009, 10:25
Permie chap nearby downloads a lot music (no movies). He got a letter accusing him of persistently download Disney movies and tells him to stop. Are they guessing what he downloads or is the detection software crap?

The detection software is pretty crap.

On top of that, some of the investigators are a bit of a joke. In one case I know of they used something like MSPaint to place the accused's IP address onto a screen shot and presented that as evidence! Would be funny if the consequences weren't quite so serious.