• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back in the land of the living

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the land of the living

I had an unfortunate accident a few days ago; don't know if any of you make your own wine but if you do you'll know what Campden tablets are. I've had a pot of these evil little pills in the cupboard for a few years now & I decided to check them out by removing the lid and seeing what they smelled like. Unfortunately, some of 'em had turned to dust which I promptly inhaled - this had the effect of removing the lining of my nostrils and the back of my throat. A deeply unpleasant experience , put me out of action for 3 days.

Welcome back Wurzel, I always said 'your blood's worth bottling'

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      I always said 'your blood's worth bottling'
      I'm afraid you're closer to the truth than you could possibly imagine

Comment

To put it frankly, that sounds absolutely ******* horrific

Did you have to stay over in hospital?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

After chemistry lessons in school I've learnt how to properly smell things - move air with your hand a bit to your nose...

Comment

must have a been a picture, did you video it ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              To put it frankly, that sounds absolutely ******* horrific

Did you have to stay over in hospital?
              No, but I probably should have gone there. Just drank a lot of water but even that hurt.

Comment

Owww, Sodium metabisulphate cleansing of the nasal passages. Painful, but sparkly clean now.

There is a worse one, but I can't remember what it is. Something to do with cirtic acid and something else mixed together - possibly sodium metabisulphate. Causing the production of a gas that can seriously harm you.

What wine you brewing anyhow. Kit or country wine?

Got a rhubarb wine on myself and barrelled 10 galln of bitter last night.
                Last edited by conned tractor; 29 October 2009, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                  Owww, Sodium metabisulphate cleansing of the nasal passages. Painful, but sparkly clean now.

There is a worse one, but I can't remember what it is. Something to do with cirtic acid and something else mixed together - possibly sodium metabisulphate. Causing the production of a gas that can kill you.

What wine you brewing anyhow. Kit or country wine?

Got a rhubarb wine on myself and barrelled 10 galln of bitter last night.
                  Grape wine - got a vine in the garden. left it too late really this year otherwise would have had enough for a good 5 gallons or so.

I'm seriously considering brewing my own beer - there's a garden centere down the road that does all the kits - you pay about 20 quid & get enough to make 40 pints. Never made beer before - any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    Grape wine - got a vine in the garden. left it too late really this year otherwise would have had enough for a good 5 gallons or so.
                    Fantastic. Never had a chance to do grape wine. But there are obvious reasons for using them.

I'm seriously considering brewing my own beer - there's a garden centere down the road that does all the kits - you pay about 20 quid & get enough to make 40 pints.
                    Compared to making wine a beer kit is a peice of pee. You buy kit, sanitise equipment, throw kit in fermenting barrel, top up with water, make sure at right-ish temp, throw yeast on top, ferment for ten days to two weeks. And then bottle or barrel - which is a pain in the a$$ compared to making it.

To barrel - you can buy plastic barrels for around £40 and co2 bulbs or similar to gas. In the barrel it will absorb the co2 making it gassy. I use corneleus kegs which are stainless and a bit more robust. They come from the days when pubs used to buy their soft drink syrup in these - homebrewers pinched the idea and hold 19 litres so are perfect for the job - they cost around £50 modified with a tap and inlet for gas canister. S30 gas canister costs £15 with a refil being £4. Corneleus kegs are much better than plastic barrels.

However, I don't do kits very often. I do all-grain brewing, which is where you soak the malt/malts of your choice and add which ever hops you like. Giving a lot more freedom to the way the beer turns out. It is a longer process but you brew beer like the breweries do - sort of. Set up costs vary, but can be done from around £100 ish upward dependant upon your DIY level.

Good benchtime pastime if you like drinking beer.

HTH

- any tips?
                    Yeah. Stop snorting they sodium metabi.

Comment

Working...
                    X